Which hand for the HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I regularly practice OOA's in this manner, and I can assure you that if I see a light flashing, or a hand approaching a diver's throat, I can have my light in my left hand fast enough to accommodate an effective OOA exchange.

And in the process, you now have the light cord in front of the long hose, thus complicating and potentially obstructing the deployment of the long hose. I've done air shares with people that have the light cord in front of them...they always involve sorting some knots after the hose is deployed. At the very least, it *complicates* the situation. This is with a 7 foot hose, anyhow. With a 5 footer, it probably works ok, as the hose isn't tucked under the canister. I just prefer doing things that work in all scenarios.

Does every variant that is not officially sanctioned by GUE have to be considered a bad habit? I don't think so. Suffice it to say you should think through what you do, and make sure you practice your skills to the point where you could handle an emergency effectively. Beyond that, I see this as just another "angels on the head of a pin" sort of argument.

I came to my own conclusions on which hand to use before I knew the 'GUE' way. To me, this seems like there is a blatently obvious 'right' and 'wrong' way of doing it. I use my left hand for buoyancy control, too...we all do. Just put it in your right hand temporarily (i.e., hand *not* in the Goodman handle). It's easy to do without moving the light beam all over the place. On most ascents, I have the light clipped off anyhow. If I'm doing a night dive, I want the light in whatever hand allows me to easily see my gauge...in this case, my gauge is on the right arm, so the light is in my left.

I dunno, there are a lot of things that get discussed here that seem like 'angels on the head of a pin' but I see this as a real issue.

I'm wondering how one sees their SPG in the dark with the light on the left hand? I know myself when I've tried to do this, the light is well outside the guage. Also, I can't seem to write on a slate with my right hand while holding the slate with the left, unless the light is on my right hand. Again, with the light on the left, it completely goes past the slate.

I agree with Bob, when I'm dumping air out of my BC, I'm sure anyone behind me might appreciate not getting hit in the eyes with my light.

As for the hand-off of the reg on an OOA, my hand comes to my hose with the light facing up. The reg is handed off with the light facing up. I guess if I did this in slow motion and my buddy were directly in front of my face, there could be a possibility of my light hitting them in the face at some point while reaching for the reg. But, I've never done it in slow motion, so I can't really say.

I dive with my computer/guage on my left wrist and have no plans to use a scooter in the future, but if I ever do, I'll likely use the light on my left hand while running the scooter and then switch it back to my right when not doing so.

Other than those who follow what GUE teachs, I believe the location of the light and any other gear for that matter, is personal preference. It is a matter of having a good buddy briefing before a dive, which I do every time I dive with someone new.

NWGratefulDiver:
I have difficulty buying into this "safety and comfort" argument ... as I do calling a preference a "bad habit".

I practice using my light in either hand ... but typically I prefer keeping it in my right hand. My reason ... consider it good or bad as you choose ... is that I use my left hand more often ... for buoyancy control ... than my right. And I'd prefer to keep my beam where my buddy can see it, rather than having to make it disappear (or switch hands) every time I want to reach behind my hip to vent a bit of air from my wing.

I regularly practice OOA's in this manner, and I can assure you that if I see a light flashing, or a hand approaching a diver's throat, I can have my light in my left hand fast enough to accommodate an effective OOA exchange. Heck, in most cases I could have it clipped off and out of the way in the one or two seconds it takes for that diver to approach for a hand-off. If they're panicked and grab my reg out of my mouth (something I haven't practiced, but now that I think about it I will), I'd just duck my head and let them have the hose ... hands-free ... and switch hands before freeing the hose from under the light.

Does every variant that is not officially sanctioned by GUE have to be considered a bad habit? I don't think so. Suffice it to say you should think through what you do, and make sure you practice your skills to the point where you could handle an emergency effectively. Beyond that, I see this as just another "angels on the head of a pin" sort of argument.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi Bob,
Being that this is the HOG forum which I have found is another name for personal preference and not really using a team approach, I agree 100% that saying one is wrong or one is right is unjustified and not accurate here.
However, as an educator, I am sure you can appreciate the fact that practicing OOA and real OOA's are two different animals. I teach a certain way because during these events, even the coolest customer will have trouble keeping the presence of mind to "switch" hands. I have seen this quite often just teaching drills. Responses to these events need to be instinctual. The need to think "which hand is my light in?" is a delay if, in fact, it occurs to the donor at all to switch hands during a real event. Blinding the OOA diver w/a light is not going to help the situation. Add to this the fact that one day in the diver's career he/she may find themselves cruising behind a DPV and will want to keep the light in the left hand during it's use. It sounds to me like the many people that have difficulty in doing this just give up and carry it in the right because it's "easier"... unless I have missed a well thought-out reason for it, that's what I continue to hear and observe in my travels teaching. As I said earlier, many folks do seem to encounter trouble doing it so it does become a "habit" that requires some effort to break and thus proving my point that "bad" (meaning not beneficial to the diver in their continuing education or during an OOA) habits need to be avoided.....law of primacy, teach them correctly first then you don't have to go back to unlearn any deeply ingrained muscle memory. We use muscle memory to our advantage by teaching habits that will not need to be changed (unlearned and relearned differently) later in the diver's career. We call those "good" habits. If these labels offend, sorry. But the labels are accurate and necessary to differentiate to the students what is desirable and what is not desirable regarding the learning process. We do not need to be wishy washy about any of this. We give the students concrete procedures to practice/follow w/solid reasons behind them. People do not pay us to tell them to "do what ever is easiest", they pay us for our expertise and experience and both of these have molded our philosophy and procedures. They have been proven in the field to work and that is why we do what we do.
Regardless of the forum this is in, the original poster requested info on how to carry the primary light. The folks I represent have thought this out a bit and I have given the main reasons for doing what we do. Those that seem to have issue w/that seem to beleive that I am forcing my beliefs on them. When in fact, I am only giving the procedure and the reasons. As always, feel free to dive as one wishes. But my personal belief is that if someone is soliciting advice, the advice giver should also give valid reasons for said advice.
I have also found that when changing hands w/the light, just reach down and gently reach over the top of the light head, gently grab w/the right hand and smoothly slide the left hand from the goodman. This will result in little to no movement of the light beam and allow the team to travel w/o interruption while adjusting buoyancy w/the left (or whatever one is doing w/the left hand)--or if one desires to glance at the gauge, a quick (2-3seconds) shine of the light onto the gauge will light it up, then put beam back into team view, then bring the glowing gauge into view...that seems to work for me.

dive safe!---b.

Quarrior:
I'm wondering how one sees their SPG in the dark with the light on the left hand? I know myself when I've tried to do this, the light is well outside the guage. Also, I can't seem to write on a slate with my right hand while holding the slate with the left, unless the light is on my right hand. Again, with the light on the left, it completely goes past the slate.

I agree with Bob, when I'm dumping air out of my BC, I'm sure anyone behind me might appreciate not getting hit in the eyes with my light.

That's why you transfer the thing to your right thumb.

Quarrior:
As for the hand-off of the reg on an OOA, my hand comes to my hose with the light facing up. The reg is handed off with the light facing up. I guess if I did this in slow motion and my buddy were directly in front of my face, there could be a possibility of my light hitting them in the face at some point while reaching for the reg. But, I've never done it in slow motion, so I can't really say.

As Soggy said, this will necessarily involve getting the long hose in some way tangled up with the light cord. Also, whether you flash in your buddy's eyes isn't really relevant when, in an OOA, you suddenly have a light flashing all over the place. Nothing like the strobe effect to increase stress in a situation. There's a reason they use flashing lights in haunted houses.

Quarrior:
I dive with my computer/guage on my left wrist and have no plans to use a scooter in the future, but if I ever do, I'll likely use the light on my left hand while running the scooter and then switch it back to my right when not doing so.

Boy, there's nothing like changing habits of equipment you're used to in order to accomodate new gear...

IMO, Soggy is right, GUE or no GUE. If you donate air with your right hand, your light goes in your left. There are convenience reasons to hold it in your right, but the single safety reason (complicating an OOA) is more than enough reason to deal with it in your left.

Soggy:
And in the process, you now have the light cord in front of the long hose, thus complicating and potentially obstructing the deployment of the long hose. I've done air shares with people that have the light cord in front of them...they always involve sorting some knots after the hose is deployed. At the very least, it *complicates* the situation. This is with a 7 foot hose, anyhow. With a 5 footer, it probably works ok, as the hose isn't tucked under the canister. I just prefer doing things that work in all scenarios.

An issue easily resolved by tucking the light cord behind the hose and performing an S-drill to assure you can safely deploy before the dive ... something we should all be doing anyway. I don't see this as an issue ... there's adequate length on the light cord to do this and still use the light in either hand.

Soggy:
I came to my own conclusions on which hand to use before I knew the 'GUE' way. To me, this seems like there is a blatently obvious 'right' and 'wrong' way of doing it. I use my left hand for buoyancy control, too...we all do. Just put it in your right hand temporarily (i.e., hand *not* in the Goodman handle). It's easy to do without moving the light beam all over the place. On most ascents, I have the light clipped off anyhow. If I'm doing a night dive, I want the light in whatever hand allows me to easily see my gauge...in this case, my gauge is on the right arm, so the light is in my left.

That's fine ... but I still don't see that it qualifies as a "bad habit". I practice OOA's pretty regularly (usually with other DIR-trained divers), and somehow I've managed to learn how to do it without blinding anybody ... even though I usually keep my light in my right hand. I have no problem with your logic, but in practice I just don't see it to be the big problem you guys do.

FWIW - my gauge (computer) is also on my right arm ... and it has a backlight. My compass and SPG are on my left ... and they don't. So for me, the practical solution is to have the light on my right hand.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
That's fine ... but I still don't see that it qualifies as a "bad habit". I practice OOA's pretty regularly (usually with other DIR-trained divers), and somehow I've managed to learn how to do it without blinding anybody ... even though I usually keep my light in my right hand. I have no problem with your logic, but in practice I just don't see it to be the big problem you guys do.

S'alright...I'll still dive with you :wink:

Soggy:
S'alright...I'll still dive with you :wink:

I would consider it a privilege ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
An issue easily resolved by tucking the light cord behind the hose and performing an S-drill to assure you can safely deploy before the dive ... something we should all be doing anyway. I don't see this as an issue ... there's adequate length on the light cord to do this and still use the light in either hand.

FWIW - my gauge (computer) is also on my right arm ... and it has a backlight. My compass and SPG are on my left ... and they don't. So for me, the practical solution is to have the light on my right hand.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I don't think having rule about left or right hand really helps a diver. If I'm reeling out the light is in the right hand on top of the reel,If I'm reeling in , the light is in the left hand on top of the reel. Sense I tuck the long hose under the can, The long hose is never a problem deploying and if it was I would have found that out in the S-drill .

You know, This might be another reason to dive solo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom