Which hand for the HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got my HID and instead of moving everything around on my belt to make a spot for the canister I hung the cannister upside down off my plate on the left side. I didn't notice it was there and I could easily use the switch even with my heavy gloves on. My thinking was that the cannister on the left would balance out the weight of the 19cf pony that is on the right side. If use my LEFT hand for the light then deploying my long hose is no problem. But in the right hand (the one I prefer) the cord is in the way of the long hose.

I'm wondering if I should consider hanging the cannister off the right side of the plate. I'm not sure how it would REALLY effect the trim. It's the DiveRite slimline so it's quite a small item.

What do you all think? Move the cannister to the right or ??

DrDuktayp

PS Oh, I loop the long hose around my dive knife.

DrDuktayp:
I'm wondering if I should consider hanging the cannister off the right side of the plate. I'm not sure how it would REALLY effect the trim. It's the DiveRite slimline so it's quite a small item.

DrDuktayp

I'm not sure what you dive for a configuration, but I think having the cannister on the tanks or plate is a bad idea for several reasons. With it there, it is no longer in the slipstream, and is adding more drag, plus can lights have all sorts of nice places for monofilament to catch on, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to reach something back there to untangle yourself. Another issue is the cannister costs a lot of money :). I want it nice and protected at my side, not on the side of my tank where it (or the cord) might scrape up against something.

With it tucked cozily at my right side, I don't even notice it's there, I can reach it when I need to, it's in the slipstream so doesn't add drag, and there's nothing sticking out to get tangled on. I can also use it as ditchable weight should I need to for some reason, though I might question the sanity of that proposition. :)

What do you have on your right side that can't be moved?

I agree with Obi-Won...

You're starting off on the wrong foot which is throwing off everything else you're doing. Can goes on the right side on the waist belt, if you're hanging a bottle, sling it on the left. It may take a little fiddling, but once you have it straightened out any addition items you add will fall into place.

Soggy:
I'm not sure what you dive for a configuration, but I think having the cannister on the tanks or plate is a bad idea for several reasons. With it there, it is no longer in the slipstream, and is adding more drag, plus can lights have all sorts of nice places for monofilament to catch on, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to reach something back there to untangle yourself. Another issue is the cannister costs a lot of money :). I want it nice and protected at my side, not on the side of my tank where it (or the cord) might scrape up against something.

With it tucked cozily at my right side, I don't even notice it's there, I can reach it when I need to, it's in the slipstream so doesn't add drag, and there's nothing sticking out to get tangled on. I can also use it as ditchable weight should I need to for some reason, though I might question the sanity of that proposition. :)

What do you have on your right side that can't be moved?

It seems to me that if it's attached to the plate, it will occupy approximately the same physical space as if it's on the belt.

There are some good reasons not to put it on the tank.. entanglement, can't reach the switch, etc.. but drag? Are you serious? :1poke:

BTW, DrDuktayp, I had the same concern about the long hose. After a couple of drills, I'm quite convinced that the light cord does not interfere with deployment of the long hose at all. You just need to move the lighthead under the hose after things have settled down.

This is not meant as a flame, but does anybody else see humor in 74 posts arguing over which hand to use for holding your light? :)

DrDuktayp:
I recently got my HID and instead of moving everything around on my belt to make a spot for the canister I hung the cannister upside down off my plate on the left side. I didn't notice it was there and I could easily use the switch even with my heavy gloves on. My thinking was that the cannister on the left would balance out the weight of the 19cf pony that is on the right side. If use my LEFT hand for the light then deploying my long hose is no problem. But in the right hand (the one I prefer) the cord is in the way of the long hose.

DrDuktayp

PS Oh, I loop the long hose around my dive knife.

If you have a pony on your back, how do you route its reg so it doesn't interfere with the long hose?

jonnythan:
It seems to me that if it's attached to the plate, it will occupy approximately the same physical space as if it's on the belt.

Yeah, the plate would be less of an issue.

There are some good reasons not to put it on the tank.. entanglement, can't reach the switch, etc.. but drag? Are you serious? :1poke:

The major issue is entanglement, but I do feel we should do anything we can to *minimize* the amount of drag. My big beef with putting it behind you is that there are all sorts of things that it can easily get caught on or smashed into.

BTW, DrDuktayp, I had the same concern about the long hose. After a couple of drills, I'm quite convinced that the light cord does not interfere with deployment of the long hose at all. You just need to move the lighthead under the hose after things have settled down.

I'm going to try it again this weekend. I'm sure you all are right, and having thought it through some more, I think the consequences of accidentally trapping the long hose by clipping off the light are much worse than having to add a small step into an OOA situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom