Which hand for the HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viscya

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering which hand people strap their HID light to. I just did a quick look around the GUE site, and saw pictures with both right and left (way to standardize). The canister goes on the right, but I would feel the light would be out of the way on the left hand.

I use it on my right hand, mainly because it feels more comfortable there. I've tried the left hand and found it awkward. From what I've been told, a lot of folks use the left hand, mainly because the right hand is used for running the scooter control.

Personally, I don't think it really matters which hand you use, as long as it is comfortable and not a hassle to deal with.

I try to run with it in my left, thought process being that I'll donate with my right and I won't give the OOA diver a retinal sunburn. I do switch it back and forth some depending on what's going on. I believe the general rule is left hand.-M

this is the hogarthian forum right? i think that DIR is left hand, but i've been doing both. i don't like the left hand when i'm fiddling with buoyancy control because i don't want to be flashing errant light signals. the right hand obviously complicates an OOA, but there what i've been trying to do is a quick hand off to the left hand before donating. this can get complicated since if you don't get the handle around your left dryglove you may have a choice between dropping your light and getting your backup reg in your mouth. i need to practice more to see if this is really workable, or if i should just use the left hand...

I figured the right hand is busy enough, and winding a reel while the light was on the right hand would confuse signals. That's why I was opting for the left.

lamont:
this is the hogarthian forum right? i think that DIR is left hand, but i've been doing both. i don't like the left hand when i'm fiddling with buoyancy control because i don't want to be flashing errant light signals. the right hand obviously complicates an OOA, but there what i've been trying to do is a quick hand off to the left hand before donating. this can get complicated since if you don't get the handle around your left dryglove you may have a choice between dropping your light and getting your backup reg in your mouth. i need to practice more to see if this is really workable, or if i should just use the left hand...

Hi Lamont:

With the lamp in your L/Hand, you can always reach over with your right to tap the inflator or dump. I sometimes will do that, and I find it quite easy. Now dumping out of the bottom of your wing (L/S) is a tad impossible with my right hand, I admit.

Steve

lamont:
this is the hogarthian forum right?
Yup, sure is.

i think that DIR is left hand,
That's my understanding as well.

i don't like the left hand when i'm fiddling with buoyancy control because i don't want to be flashing errant light signals.
My concern with this was blinding myself. But the errant light signals is a good point to consider too.
the right hand obviously complicates an OOA
I've been fortunate enough that I have not had to deal with a "real" OOA, but, it seems to me the diver needing the gas isn't going to ask for it, so, blinding them when handing them the reg really isn't an issue. True?
but there what i've been trying to do is a quick hand off to the left hand before donating. this can get complicated since if you don't get the handle around your left dryglove you may have a choice between dropping your light and getting your backup reg in your mouth.
Is there something wrong with letting the light hang for a few seconds while you handle the situation? I'm asking because I don't know the answer, not to be a smart a@#

Some thoughts:
1. In OOA situation, you are allowed to drop the light--donating the air is primary importance. Switching to backup reg SHOULD be a relaxed and casual thing since you just had a good breath seconds ago. Some divers have actually learned to grab the backup with their mouth-no hands needed. BTW, I alternate hands with my light, and have donated air many times with the light on either hand and never needed to drop it yet.
2. Being able to switch hands with the light is very handy since most of us wear the compass on one wrist and computer on the other. It's good to be able to consult both. Mostly I carry the light in my hand, and only strap the Goodman handle on if I also need that hand to run a reel, shoot a lift bag, etc.
3. Also handy to loop the cord around your neck and let the light hang when you are busy attaching a stage bottle, etc. Loop clockwise, so if you need to donate air at this moment you will not be releasing and dropping your light while deploying your 7' hose.

These are from my experience only, and may not work for you. The HOG forum is a great place. :)

I don't think a couple of the above statements in post 8 & 9 are totally DIR, but then again..........

Dropping the light would violate rule # 6 :) (Please note GUE Rule book) hehehe

Don't count on never having to hand-off to an OOA buddy, as hopefully you'd see him coming and already have it deployed....but then again.......

Carry the light, vs. a goodman handle unnecessarily encumbers one hand for no reason.

Looping the cord around your neck creates it's own potential problems,.....just about then you need to deploy the hose..........uhm, the cord, no, the hose......OK BOTH in a jumbled snake that is less than3 ft long now <hang>.

Just some thoughts. "They" do it one way for a reason that is pretty well thought out gents. The wheel is round, I wouldn't start trying to make it "rounder".

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom