Which hand for the HID light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
My light goes in my left hand with the cord routed underneath (i.e. closer to my body) the long hose for easy deployment of the long hose. The reasons for this are:

• I don't blind my already freaked out buddy when I give him gas. He ends up able to *see* the regulator coming at him this way and can reach to help put it in his own mouth.
  • Reel goes in left hand, wound by right hand. Were the light in the right hand, light signals would get all sorts of confused.
  • For future development, should I ever get a scooter, the scooter is run by the right hand, so the light needs to go in the left hand anyhow.

If I need to do something with my left hand like dumping gas where I cannot reach over and fix the problem with my right hand, I move the lighthead into a temporary hold in my right hand where only my thumb is in the goodman or I'm just holding the ballast of the light. This means that I can very quickly switch back to the left hand should I need to donate gas.

Because the light cord is run under the long hose, whenever the light is clipped off to the right D-ring, it has to be run back underneath the long hose so as to not trap it. It gets to be habit eventually, but is easy to forget when first learning to dive with a can light.

Pretty much what I do. The temp hand off from L to R. When I was shooting photos UW, I also had it in the left hand, and it was no biggie. Its just makes sense for me.

K

Soggy:
I'll take a look, but I can assure you that GUE insists on left hand light.

There are also several pictures that have had the negatives reversed in them.

I believe you. The pictures in question are clearly not the result of reversed negatives.
And, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands waiting to take GF/tryst to the doctor.
This is calming me down. I.e, not looking for a fight.

Mo2vation:
Pretty much what I do. The temp hand off from L to R. When I was shooting photos UW, I also had it in the left hand, and it was no biggie. Its just makes sense for me.

K
The GUE protocol is of course, in the left hand.
Being that this is the "HOG" forum, I am a bit hesitant to give a full reply here as I am by no means an authority on the "HOG" system.
As to what GUE teaches (since I have read several GUE trained diver's answers)...
To answer the cord question, we tell folks the cord should be long enough to stretch from the canister on the left waist to the fully outstretched left hand.
As to the pics, they are just moments in time and do not represent a full dive. I can assure you that the light is kept in the left hand while in normal use for all of the answers listed already, plus if one does get into DPV use eventually, they will want the light in the left hand while the right is on the trigger most of the time. We teach from day one with the end goal in mind, meaning we avoid teaching skills/techniques to a diver just to build a habit/techinique that they would have to "change" later. It is temporarily held in the right for using the left hand for any number of purposes. We do not hang our light cords around our necks as it would/can/will present problems while trying to deploy a reg in an OOG...especially while gas switching.
These are the GUE answers and not necessarily the "HOG" answers (I am not familiar with this system of diving nor the authorites of that system as well--other than Bil Main, whom I have not seen post yet) so if my post is inappropriate for this forum, I apologize and please do not hesitate to move it to the appropriate forum (i.e. the "DIR" forum).

dive safe!---brando

BCS:
As to the pics, they are just moments in time and do not represent a full dive.

Ah, moments in time. I must have been blind.

evad:
I believe you. The pictures in question are clearly not the result of reversed negatives.
And, yes I do have a lot of time on my hands waiting to take GF/tryst to the doctor.
This is calming me down. I.e, not looking for a fight.

No fight? I thought that's what ScubaBoard was for! :wink:

:mfight: :1poke:

Yeah, there are a number of mistakes in the DIRF book, which anyone involved in GUE would admit.

BCS:
<snip>

These are the GUE answers and not necessarily the "HOG" answers .....

Brando,

Not an issue. Since DIR is an application of a HOG rig, the input is valued. I posted the question here to get other opinions in addition to GUE training.

Soggy:
No fight? I thought that's what ScubaBoard was for! :wink:

:mfight: :1poke:

Yeah, there are a number of mistakes in the DIRF book, which anyone involved in GUE would admit.

Fighting with gentlemen is good clean fun and, if this was worth it, I'd fight with you. It just seems kind of odd that GUE would publish a book with (glaring) mistakes in it.

BCS:
The GUE protocol is of course, in the left hand.
Being that this is the "HOG" forum, I am a bit hesitant to give a full reply here as I am by no means an authority on the "HOG" system.

you've got a ton of experience on a streamlined rig. i'd vote you were an authority... =)

after reading all the responses, i'm going to work on the light in the left hand with a temporary hand-off to the right for buoyancy control. makes sense since it trades off less complication in an OOA for a little more complication with buoyancy control -- optimizes for the situation where you really need it...

evad:
Fighting with gentlemen is good clean fun and, if this was worth it, I'd fight with you. It just seems kind of odd that GUE would publish a book with (glaring) mistakes in it.
And then make it the required study text for the Fundamentals course.

FreeFloat:
And then make it the required study text for the Fundamentals course.

I guess it insures that you take the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom