Which Gopro mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the GoPro Tripod mount to attach the camera to a goodman-like handle. Worked well, other than some noise from the metal ring that the lanyard attaches with. With the plastic housing and rigidly attached mount, ANY taps or movement on the handle or housing transfer very efficiently into the onboard mic. Not a problem if you're going to replace the audio anyway of course.

With the latch coming open - I've heard of this before, but didn't notice it on my dives. Perhaps it's made worse by the larger LCD back? Make sure the black latch piece is correctly seated though - I've had issues with it coming lose from the housing while it's open. I've heard of some using a simple rubber band to make sure it doesn't come open while in-use though.

My mount:

I use the snake river prototyping flat lens.
In my opinion its the best one out there.
I like being able to use different filters and also keeps the integrity of the housing intact in case it would leak.

I use a telscoping pole mount from quikpod or an Intova tray with lights.
Depending on my needs.

Sometimes the little black latch can come loose on the gopro housing itself, so I use a thick rubber band to keep it from accidently opening up at depth.

Worked well, other than some noise from the metal ring that the lanyard attaches with.
Wouldn't a simple zip-tie silence the metal ring?

I just ordered my gopro and am thinking this setup may be what I will be building.

Perhaps -- haven't tried to silence it yet since I ended up muting the audio and replacing it with music anyway :)

Sometimes the little black latch can come loose on the gopro housing itself, so I use a thick rubber band to keep it from accidently opening up at depth.

I my case it is a guarantee that the latch will come loose as I pass through about 25 feet. While I doubt that the case will open at depth. If you don't watch the latch as you reach the surface, the case can most certainly can open up. I would recommend that anyone diving with the go pro uses the rubber band, even if your latch is not yet coming loose. For me the first two dives where no problem but by dive 3 the latch consistently comes loose. For others it has take more dives until this effect is observed. I do not have the LCD back.

newgopro.jpgI use my GoProHD with the Snake River Prototyping lens regularly, meaning several times a week lately. So far the deepest we have gone together is 145 feet. (Yes im a bit obsessed with diving but I live in diving paradise!)

I cant comment on other solutions, but I feel that Snake River has the best offering. They solve three problems blurring, color loss, and humidity buildup between the lens and the flat glass. I have yet to have a humidity issue - the little balls really work (inside the filter holder)

As far as the latch on the GoPro, I actually kicked it open while descending the other day. (I sometimes have my camera mounted on a 5 foot "wiffle pvc pipe") Fortunately I think I was so deep that the back did not open. I gingerly relatched the latch back, and said a little prayer. No flooding. I agree that the latch is not very safe at all. Now knowing this we should all be extra careful. It sounds like some rubber bands might be the duck tape solution for now. I should point out that I did not have the LCD back on. I wonder if the extra weight of the LCD caused your door to swing open on its own once the latch was open?

As far as which "mount" I primarily use two different ones.

For Wrecks, I use a 5 foot 1" thick walled PVC pipe, with hundreds of 1/4 inch holes drilled in it. On the end of it I have attached the GoPro optional standard tripod mount (it costs like 7.00) and bolted that to the end of the pipe with a stainless steel bolt and washers. In addition, I added some JBWELD to the joint between the stand mount, and the pipe for extra security.

For reefs, or when I need my hands free
I use the actual mounting base that the GoPro ships on, and I have drilled it out on either side to allow me to hook a retracter to both sides of it, and wear it firmly against my chest. I purchased the accessory mount kit, and in there was an extra long mount, that allowed me to mount the Gopro onto the shipping plate, and turn it so that it would be flat parallel with the plate.When I want to film, I simply grab the camera and pull it forward, when I am done I let go and its back on my chest. If you have tech gear with a harness you could add a third retracter for more stability. I just leave it filming on my chest as it is actually pretty stable there and sometimes catches things that I would have missed. This setup works surprisingly well. I was worried that the retractors might hurt my back, but they do not, and they do a great job of holding the camera firmly in place.

Last edited:
fdarden,

How is the buoyancy of your PVC extension with drilled holes? I was planning to do a similar thing and don't have time before my trip to do tests on the buoyancy.

Also, may I ask where you got your retractors.

The latch on one of my Gopro housings is really tight-I have tried removing it a few times and it doesn't seem like it will budge. The other one it can be removed and reinserted w/o a problem. Not to sure as to why. I haven't taken the housing any deeper than 30ft(and then only for mere seconds)...but I'll def be putting a rubberband over it from now on!

Back
Top Bottom