Which Florida spring for novice (non-cave) divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are three novice divers each with 10 guided dives under our belt since getting certified. We will be staying near the Florida springs next month and wanted to do our first unguided dive in one of the springs. We will need to rent our BCs, regulators, and tanks, so we are considering Ginnie Spring, Devil’s Den or Blue Grotto as they all have dive shops. Could anyone recommend which one might be the best for us in terms of ease/difficulty and having something interesting to see other than caves (as we are not certified for cave diving). Thanks.

I have many dives in the Devil's system of Ginnie, but have played in the runs some also. Be aware that Ginnie's run is rather shallow, unless you go into the cavern, which I would not recommend, without training & with your limited experience. The Devil's run is an average of about 8 ft deep with areas that can get into the 20 ft deep range (the eye & Ear (watch for river currents & the high flow coming out of the ear)) & the Little Devil crack can get a bit deeper, bit is VERY narrow & tight.I had one of my most memorable dives, there in the Devil's run, chasing little fresh water flounders all over the place. The crystal clear waters are stunningly beautiful with lots of grass carps, bluegill, bass & a few freshwater turtles about.

Royal springs is of decent OW size,... but last time I was there was quite murky. I have heard that Troy springs is also decent for OW diving, but has an area that can get quite deep.

Blue Grotto or Devil's Den would be your best bet. They both rent gear and have gas available. Both are easy dives (don't do the deep cavern at the Grotto, only go as deep as peace rock). You will enjoy both, they have good visibility most of the time. You may want a light for Devil's Den, if you go under the overhang. You won't really need a light for Blue Grotto, if you don't go into the deep cavern. I do all my practice, tune-up dives at these places.

Tammy, Troy is closed currently.

To the OP, I'd go to Devils personally, but I might consider taking a class if you have the time while you're down there. You should be able to do your AOW while you're down there with one of the cave instructors and that will give you a major skills boost and still give you time to play around in the springs. There is a lot of contention with OW divers in some of these areas with parts of the cave community. If you are looking for a good dive shop to look into, check out Cave Country Dive Shop
Cave Country Dive Shop
They have full rental gear and is run by some wonderful people

Actually I enjoyed Devils Den more with all the swim throughs.....

Actually I enjoyed Devils Den more with all the swim throughs.....

I also think it is more interesting.

Another idea, depending on where you are staying, is a drift dive down the Rainbow River in the Crystal River area. It is a very easy dive and you'll actually see things like freshwater fish and possibly turtles. Bird's and American Pro are nearby dive operators. Here's a site with some descriptions of each: the posts are a bit dated but accurate......

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Rainbow River of Florida, USA East
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Devil's Den of Florida, USA East
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Blue Grotto of Florida, USA East

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom