Which fins should I pack for Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisahollis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm doing my first dive trip to Grand Cayman and leaving tomorrow. I'm debating which fins to bring - my open back fins that I wear with booties (which are better for shore dives) or my full foot fins. My open back fins are extremely heavy and I was hoping to get by with one suitcase and a backpack. If I pack them, I don't see any way I can get by with the 50 lb checked bag allowance. For boat diving I'm assuming my full foot fins would be sufficient. I'm not sure if we will do any shore diving, but if I decided to, could I get by with full foot fins? Are the shore dives mostly sandy?

Full foot fins should be fine. Most of the popular shore dives have easy prepared entry/exit sites where you can leave a pair of flip-flops.

full foot should be fine. just got back from there and some people just walked barefoot to some entries.

I always travel to Caymans with my full foot fins for the same reason, plus use them for snorkeling as well. I wear a pair of 0.5 mm neoprene low socks with them to make it a bit more comfortable. Even the shore dives should be fine.

Turtle Reef is literally a flight of steps off the restaurant's deck. Cobalt Coast a ladder at the end of a dock and there's a ramp over the ironshore to it. Lighthouse Pt. is similar - you don't even touch the ground from the parking lot to their dock/ladder. Those IMO are the 3 best shore dives.

Cemetery Beach actually is one. Smith's Cove the other. Eden Rock is finished to the water and I believe at Cheeseburger reef you go off the dock there. Not sure what - if any progress has been made on the cruise dock but it will affect Eden Rock when it's under construction as they're going to dredge the area. Plus it's in the heart of downtown so go later after the cruise ships sail.

Sunset House is paved to the waterline, has a giant stride entrance, ladder and steps down into the Salt Water Pool.

You won't be doing any beach dives from Seven Mile Beach, the reef is too far out. So bring the FF fins...

Last edited:
Eden Rock is a ladder at the end of a concrete path. maybe some stairs along the way but the entry/exit is a ladder. Did some nice swim-throughs. Try to avoid going when the cruise ships are in as there will be a constant noise from their motors.

Lighthouse Point we did a giant stride off their dock into the water with a ladder exit. Ask them to take you to the statue.

When we shore dive Grand Cayman I use my open heel fins because I like to feel secure when walking in my booties, but my husband prefers the ease and comfort of full foot fins - so I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I think you will be fine in whatever fins you bring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom