Which DUI suit should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from the DUI Demo at the Oregon Coast Aquarium and I'm interested in getting a DUI suit but I can't decide which one. My local dealer recommends the CF200 but he hasn't convinced me as to why yet. I'm getting different opinions from different folks. I want to find a way to justify the TLS350 because of the lower price, light weight and quick drying. Some people say the TLS350 is bullet proof, others say it's delicate and won't hold up to my type of diving.

I live in Oregon and dive primarily from the beach in poor visibility. No wreck diving (yet). No cave diving. Nothing technical. I take very good care of my equipment but with the poor visibility and beach entries it's not uncommon to brush up against rocks/piers, etc. I try hard not to make contact with objects but it happens on most dives. The water is 50-55 degrees. I'm considering the TLS350, CF200 and CLX 450.

Will the TLS 350 work for me? If not, what is it designed for? Which suit do you recommend for me?

On another note- can all of the DUI dive wear be washed in a regular washing machine (like regular laundry)? Also, what is the main difference between the Polartec Powerstretch and Thinsulate garments? I can't decide which I should get.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just getting back into diving after a 20 year absence and all the equipment is new. I'm clueless and need all the help I can get.

And dive them both. For what you will be doing the TLS350 will take it with out a hitch.

Love them both the 350 is slightly more flexible and the squeeze is less noticable, it drys alot faster and folds into a smaller space than the 200.

the 200 is slightly warmer, and very tough.

If you are doing alot of shore dives the 350 makes it easier to pack light, drys in about 15 minutes as compared to 24 hours for the 200.

I recommend both highly. But based upon what I think I read in your post, I would suggest the tls 350.

Hallmac

So why do folks buy the 200? If the 350 is cheaper, dries faster, is more flexible and is lighter, why pay an extra $300? Is the 200 just built for super duty commercial diving or serious wreck diving or????

When do you choose the 200 over the 350?

BTW, I do plan to start doing some boat dives but that seems to just make the argument for the 350 even stronger since there isn't as much wear and tear on the suit.

The CF200 is simply tough as nails! It is the recommended suit for high abrasion, possible sharp edge environments such as wreck diving. All of their suits are so highly regarded and needless to say, of high quality. My buddy and I ordered the SS CLX-450 suits Aug 27th and can't wait till they are here! We both wanted something in between the TLS350 and CF200 and thought the 450 would be it. Just a side note is that you can go to DUI's website into the tech section, click on CF200 its a patented process and submit your address. They will send their catalog and a 2 by 2 piece of the CF200 material. Its pretty cool. Sorry, I don't know how to put that link in this reply.

Thanks for the reply.

I dove in the 200 today so I know what it's like. I should have insisted on trying the 350 at the demo dive but my LDS thinks I need the 200.

Unless somebody can give me a good reason not to get the 350 that's probably what I'll get.

Hope you have fun with your new suit!

do NOT put your drysuit in a washing machine. There is no reason to ever put your suit in a machine. For the outside, hang it up, and hose it down. 99% of the time that is all you will ever need to do, for any heavy stains, some mild detergent and a soft scrub brush will take care of it. For the inside, most times it won't be needed, but if you happen to stink it up badly turn it inside out and rinse it down with some mild detergent. This is something you rarely need to do to the inside of a suit. for neoprene suits a little deodorizer made for wetsuits mixed in to the wash will get rid of any odors. Most of the time a good airing out is all that is needed after a dive.:eek:ut:

Sorry, I was talking about washing the undergarments. DUI calls it "dive wear" so that's what I called it in my post. Thanks for the tips on the suit though. I need all the help I can get.

I also have both the 200 and the 350. I primarily dive the 200 and love it, the reason being the tighter fit! IMHO it distributes the air in the suit more evenly. I dive local quarry's etc... it wears better than any other.

When I travel I take the 350 due to the previous issues mentioned (Light weight, Drys fast etc...) the CF200 weighs a considerable amount more. Had a hard time traveling with it and my gear and getting under the 70 lb. limit Recently changed / implemented by Delta Airlines. (I threw out the clothes)

Yes you can wash the underwear, I just purchased the Thinsulate 200 and like it a lot (It is a little warm for my taste) I have been using the Powerstretch (Green I think they are now Grey?) and have been ice diving in the arctic Ice with it and the CF200.

Can you dive either of these when diving in the tropics? It seems the 350 (since it's not quite as warm) would be better suited for warm water diving. I guess you would just not wear any undergarments? Is that true?

Has anybody worn the TLS350 in the tropics or do you just use a thin wet suit? I'd rather not have to buy a drysuit for my local diving and a thin wet suit for tropical waters.

Do not get the CF200... get the TLS350 hands down. Every single person I know who has tried both has loved the TLS350. The CF200 can take 2 days to dry, compared to 15 min for the TLS350. Not to mention that the CF200 weighs a ton when it's wet.

The idea behind getting a drysuit without thermal properties is that you can tailor your insulation to the environment you dive in. You might not want to use a drysuit in 80 degree water, but I have been quite comfortable with a thin undergarment in 70 degree water. A thin wetsuit doesn't cost much an is probably a better solution for really warm water.

Type-B thinsulate (like the DUI 400G) is the best undergarment you can get but it is very expensive and difficult to maintain. It is already compressed so retains its insulative properties at depth. It is also hydrophobic and doesn't require loft to keep you warm. You have to follow the manufacturer's guidelines when washing it... essentially no soap as this ruins the fabric. If you aren't so bothered by the cold, a polartec undergarment might be fine.

Back
Top Bottom