which do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a pair of Aeris Velocity fins, they're great in the pool working with students. Will try them in current for the first time this weekend in the St. Lawrence(46 degrees- doh!). Can't beat the price($150 Cdn). It seems as if the less effort, the faster you go!

good luck

Hey, another mike,
How about a follow up on how your new fins perform after your weekend dive(s)? I'm considering buying a pair.

Open heel blade fins (Mares Avanti Trei)

Openheel because wearing a boot is a much safer way of entering the water - you won't cut your feet on anything - and because open heel fins are much easier to put on when you are shore diving, especially with the Mares which has a superb clip design.

Blade fins because they are meant to be so much better for manouevering - split fins are meant to be great for power.

Regards

I just bought a pair of Atomic Split Fins and am taking them to the Bahamas next week. I'm bringing along my trusty 21 year old Scubapro Jet Fins, just incase I hate the splits. I'll let you know how they compare. My friends all want to try them so I'll be doing some dives with both and will try to see if the splits actually reduce air consumpion, and provide better speed. I'll do a follow-up on this thread when I get back. (Theo's Awaits).

Originally posted by jonnythan

I believe many people hate them because they only work with one type of kick, and are therefore only useful in rec diving.

Tech divers (particularly cave divers.. AFAIK) like to frog kick so as not to stir up sediment, and split fins aren't very useful for that.

I have them and I do the frog kick, dolphin kick and standard kick just fine. Not sure where you got your info.

I have the scubapro jet fins with spring for straps. The springs are great because you don't have to worry about straps breaking or undoing straps to put on or take off the fins. I use them for my tech diving as well as my regular fun open water diving. I have the medium ones and wear them with booties.

If oyu look on ebay you can usually find a pretty good deal on finsthat are new to hardly used. I got my jet fins on there for $25 they were new!

My buddy has an old pair of Rondine Garas by Cressisub that are starting to split. On our Bahama trip we are going to try making split fins out of them. He just got a new pair of GARA 2000s and doesn't mind wasting his old ones. These will be wild, as they are about 3 1/2 foot long free diving fins with closed heel. I'll let you know the results when we get back. Probably a waste, but what the heck.....nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As I promised, here is my report on my new Atomic split fins......I love them!!!.....I was literaly able to swim circles around all the other divers in my group. Also while swimming low between the buttresses, my dive buddy said that I didn't silt it up at all. I even let the divemaster Nick(who has over 20,000 logged dives) use them and he said that he was going to order a pair. My Atomics were the only slpit fins on the trip so I have no comparison to other brands of split fins......but they definitely blew away my old heavy 1981 jet fins. I hear that in 1982 the jets were improved by making them lighter but I doubt I will ever need anything other than my Atomics.

P.S. The strap release makes it super simple to remove them when ready to climb back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom