• Corrosion resistance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ease of service

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I'll add my own

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm confused as to why we would limit ourselves to only one good feature, and why value is not part of the equation. As an instructor I can get significant deals and I can informatively shop eBay/craigslist/yard sales, but if I were just a casual diver I would look for most of those features with good value. Value would also include service down the road.

Most divers do not get the chance to see how various regs perform under a variety of conditions. I was lucky enough to work for an Oceanic retailer when the Delta 4/CDX-5 was released. I bought it because it was cheap; I now wish I had bought at least one spare.

I think it has all the features you list in your poll, with the added feature of significant flow adjustment on the fly. In high current /scooter diving I can crank it down until it just barely gives adequate air but doesn't freeflow, if I end up deep I can open it up to just nearly freeflowing in dead calm.

I might have voted if there were three other options; flow adjustment, value and all the above.

Heck, if I had put ALL of the above, we'll ALL want ALL of the above... Then, there is no trend to measure.

Kind of like, what type of woman do you like:

Brain
Big B...b
Big B.t
Can whip up a great meal
Great in bed
Doesn't talk
Obedient

Or All of the above... Unfortunately, some of those choices are mutually exclusive... he, he, he....

Then, there is no trend to measure.

I am still confused??? If the point of your polls is to measure trends, what is the point of knowledgeable divers participating? If only the trendy participate, what value is the poll?

Rather than measure trends, why not just ask something like this?

"Three of your closest peep's are going to buy their own gear. One is a 19 year old college student on student loans who can't afford anything but entry level, one is a 29 year old retail manager who really can't afford top of the line and the third is a 39 year old engineer who just inherited a chunk of change. What reg set would you recommend for each and why?"

The resulting posts might actually help others decide what they should be looking for, rather than a thread to WASTE time on while we are cyber diving.

I find this poll quite valuable. As I own only one brand of regulator, and they are not known to be good breathers. But when 1/2 of the people polled, feel that breathing quality is very important.... Perhaps I should try a better breather, than simply owning regs that I believe to be reliable.

But each person has their own feeling on what is a waste of time.

I chose my XS Tri Metal because of its test results.. After having used it and comparing to others, it was not only much easier to breate out of but just a better feeling reg all around. Weight and all things considered.

According to the tests, it performs on par with some of the higher dollar units.. Thats always a plus!

When you really analyzes the result of the poll carefully, it is essentially a dichotomy:

1. Chosing breathing effort, ignoring everything else.
2. Chosing reliability, ignoring everything else.

One can say that most scuba regs are extremely reliable, and given proper care, breathing effort is most important.

Or one can say that when push comes to shove, and the feces hit the fan - a rough breather that is bullet proof is better than one that doesn't work.

I guess it all depends - do you want a corvette, or do you want a truck?

That is essentially the barebone poll.

I own a lot of new stuff made out of plastic but I prefer my old Dacor XLE's since they are so easy to work on and breath so easily. Not to forget about the pretty chrome plating on the brass castings. :dork2:

I'll just say yes, I'm an all of the above guy. Since you can choose all of your answers in the poll.

Kind of like, what type of woman do you like:

Brain
Big B...b
Big B.t
Can whip up a great meal
Great in bed
Doesn't talk
Obedient

Or All of the above... Unfortunately, some of those choices are mutually exclusive... he, he, he....

Wanted: Wife who will cook, clean fish and has a boat with motor, please send photo of boat and motor.

Back
Top Bottom