• Corrosion resistance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ease of service

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • I'll add my own

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With all the fancy new modern inventions, high flow first stages, balanced second stage, etc... And flimsy plastic parts that sticks (purge valves), breaks (second stage housing), etc....

My son dives with a tiny lightweight genesis. When I dove with it, you do get less jaw fatigue. But the plastic purge button sticks if you pushed it too hard (panic, pushed purge too hard and you add a freeflow reg!), the exhaust fins pops out easily if bumped, and the thread on the plastic cap is so whimpy, it would likely not last more than 10 servicing.

What would you prefer? Since most of my diving is shallow.... I would rather have durability over ease of breathing. Assuming that is the only choice you had.

I am a big fan of the old SPR190's with service upgrades, durable metal case, mine is attached to a MKV 1rst. I believe it offers probably everything you listed except light weight. I am still diving my first set from '77 and am always on lookout for someone selling either so as to have spares/backups.

It is funny, with a heavy bulky reg, and you add an extended bite mouthpiece like seacure - and it feels like you've cut the weight down to almost nothing.

reliability and ease of breathing

I want one that can be serviced anywhere and has parts in remote countries and does not cost more than the reg is worth to service.

One that works. Once I'm under water, I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between most regs that I've used.

I look for several things: simplicity, reliability, uniformity and performance. Most of my regs are of one brand/type.

Ease of breathing is the only mandatory thing i expect off one. Ease of DIY service and so on are nice but secondary to that.

..and when i say ease of breathing i dont just mean it injects air at high pressures down your throat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom