Which dive op in Cabo? Amigos Del Mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are heading to Cabo next month for the first time, we'll be staying at Playa Grande Resort. I read that Amigos Del Mar is across the street from this property. Anyone have any experience with them or other dive ops in Cabo?

Also looked at caboscuba.com & divecabo.com

Anything not to be missed diving or otherwise? Getting excited, we won this trip and the diving looks different and fun!

Thanks for any info!

I'm not familiar w/ the Playa Grande (must be pretty new). Amigos Del Mar is the nearest shop to the Solmar & the Finisterra. I have not been their customer, but they have great reviews from SB members, and the last time we were in Cabo, their boat also looked nice. They have one of the larger shops.

On the marina, the former "Plaza Las Glorias" (changed their name, but I'm sure all the locals know Plaza Las Glorias) has several dive shops. I've used Baja Dive and Land's End Divers. I would recommend Land's End Divers.

General advice: (1) avoid diving on the day(s) that the cruise ship(s) visit. Rent a car & go somewhere else :) (2) just about all the Cabo dive sites are within a few minutes' boat ride from the marina. There's an advanced open ocean sea mount trip which is a long way, that they do only if there's sufficient people. I wouldn't go diving Bahia Chilena or Bahia Santa Maria, unless you do those as shore dives (someone drives you & your gear there, etc.) but I would definitely go to the beach there. (3) if you get a group trip (organized by a local dive shop) to Cabo Pulmo, go. If not, rent a car, and plan to do it yourself. Be sure to carry lots of cash, as the Cabo Pulmo op does not have a credit card machine. (4) eat at Solomon's Landing (on the marina). (5) Avoid the time share sharks :)

If you look at my photo gallery here (I don't know how to get to it, but I know it's there :) ), you'll see photos + 1 album. Don't look at the album, look at the photos. All the photos (except for the album) are from diving in Cabo. These were pre-SB-album capability. The album is a recent Puerto Vallarta trip.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. I think Playa Grande is part of Solmar. All I know is the marina is right behind it or across from it.

Have you been to Gordo Banks? I was almost leaning more towards that trip over Cabo Pulmo.

Thanks for the great info. I think Playa Grande is part of Solmar. All I know is the marina is right behind it or across from it.

Have you been to Gordo Banks? I was almost leaning more towards that trip over Cabo Pulmo.

Gordo is the seamount I was referring to. No, I have not been to Gordo. The last time I was in Cabo (May/June timeframe), the ops said that they didn't run to Gordo until later in the year, so you may get a trip.

Cabo Pulmo, to me, is more neat because of the drive there & the emptiness (lack of hotels, etc.) than the coral & fish. I thought the dive sites off the Cabo marina (land's end, walls, sea lion rock, etc.) had plentiful gorgonians, christmas tree worms, nudibranches, & lots of fish (including some fairly impressive groupers on the walls).

Find a restaurant that does "Huachinango Entero in Mojo de Ajo" (whole fried snapper w/ spicy garlic sauce). The one that we loved has gone out of business, but it's a somewhat regional specialty, so you should be able to find lots of places.

Best,

Hy

I just got back from Cabo. My wife and I were there for two weeks at the Finesterra. I can recomend Amigos Del Mar as that is who I dove with. First I took My wife and Daughter and my Daughters friend for a "resort dive" with them. Pelican Rock and Neptunes Finger are 2 regular dive spots. Lot's to see, of course for the first two dives I was concentrating on my wife. A few days later I went with a group to the same locations and really enjoyed the scenery. It was very busy there so one of the other guys from that group and I scheduled an "across the bay" trip. Basicaly we boated up the coast a few miles with just he and I and a guide. We were the only divers in the area. I was great, lots of fish fantastic rock formations, even some corral. Mantas, lobsters so big you'd be hard pressed to find a pot big enough and a giant turtle.

The whole time I dove with 4 different insructor / gides and they all were very personable and friendly.

If you plan on doing a lot of diving they have bulk rates available.

AND I agree with @hdtran "avoid the time share sharks" You can get some good deals on stuff from them, but you have to figure if your precious vacation time is worth what you get.....that "90 minutes" turns into 6 hours before you know it. And while we had no problems all the stories I heard from others there what they were promised was not what they got.

And do eat at Soloman's Landing! Great food and service. Also I would avoid eating at No Worries......place seems like a great party place at night, but the food was not good.

Have fun! I wish I was back there now!!!

Last edited:
Thanks OGD357! Really looking forward to this trip, an unexpected surprise for us! We are scheduled for 4 days of diving, (local, across the bay, gordo banks & cabo pulmo). Might have to convince my husband to do a night dive possibly. Seems like there are lots of good restaurants down there and we are also planning on doing a day ATV trip. Thanks for the tips about the timeshare, I was thinking about maybe attending it to see if they gave anything to us for activities/food but now re-considering that.

You are going to love the Playa Grande, that is where we stay, it is beautiful. It is associated with the Sol Mar, and between the Finesterra and the SolMar. I always dive with Amigos Del Mar (14 trips and counting), they are very close to the Playa Grande about 4 min walk. They have good DMs, well cared for rental gear, oxygen on the boat, safety stuff and lots of room to stow your gear.
They will take you to Pelican Rock for your first dive just so they can see how well you dive and then they will take you where you want to go. There are tonnes of puffers, rays, eels and tropicals but not a lot of soft coral and the visibility is just ok, but the water should be warm. Cabo Pulmo is very nice, like Cabo diving on steriods (bigger fish and more current), across the bay sites are also nice for a change.
have a great trip.

Hello Divers.I have used most of the shops in Cabo at one time or another.I really like Baja Dive. I always get the same great service.The Dive Masters are the most helpful I have seen any where and they really know the sites.They are using Two new Boats and the have all safty gear and good big ladders.My last Dive with them they had just replaced all the gear new Regs. New b.c.d.s and Masks.They are located in the Tesoro Los Cabo Resort right on the Marina. All the Boats leave from the same Docks.I did Dive on Amigos new boat and it is really small in the back where the Divers sit so it was not Diver friendly. email Baja Dive at cooldiver2@yahoo.com

You are going to love the Playa Grande, that is where we stay, it is beautiful. It is associated with the Sol Mar, and between the Finesterra and the SolMar.

Thanks Chocoholic! What transportation do you usually take from the airport? We heard the property had a shuttle but we weren't sure if we would get into the airport in time to catch it. I emailed the hotel but received no response. My husband has been looking at Grey Lines Shuttle which does $36 per person round trip with the return.

Any good tips for cheap or good breakfast at the resort or nearby on our dive days?

Ola Divers.There are some good places to eat right on the Marina Solomons Landing has a great Breakfast and they open early.They are in the Tesoro Hotel. Wonderful View of the Marina and top noch Service.
I Dive with a Shop called Baja Dive also in the Tesoro Hotel they have nice Boats and the best gear I have ever seen in Mexico.I think Baja Dive has been there for about 12 or 13 years and seems to get good reviews here on Scuba Board.We saw the boat from Amigos Del Mar it was a 25 foot Ponga style boat looked very old and had no shade to speak of.The last time I went into Amigos shop the owner Kevin was very rude to us so I will never reccomend them.
There is also a great lunch spot called Maros Shrimp House about 1 block off the Marina with combos of shrimp and steak or Lobster for around $17.00 great food and the best service.
Most of the Shuttles are around $12.00 to $15.00 each way we just walk outside and grab one there s 100s of them.
P.S Baja Dive is also the Local Denver Broncos Local fan Club H.Q.

Back
Top Bottom