Trip Report Cabo San Lucas Jan. 22 - Feb. 4, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a new experience on this trip. On the day before we were supposed to leave, our traveling friends received their results from a Covid test taken 1 week earlier and 1 was positive. Long story short, my wife and I cancelled and received refunds for our airfare, insurance, and excursions - the next day when our friends received negative results on rapid tests, we rebooked airfare/insurance and only missed one day of our trip.

End of Jan., first of Feb. diving is probably not the best time (but still probably not the worst) for diving in Cabo. Have been twice, both about the same time frame. The water had low visibility, likely exacerbated from the effects of the Tonga volcanic eruption - lowest in the CSL Bay about 10-15 ft. and better along the Corridor at 25-40 ft. Water temps were similar in both areas with 70º F (hit 69º F in a couple places) being pretty normal in the Corridor and a few degrees warmer in the bay. I rented a 5mm wetsuit and wore a Lavaskin top underneath - to the CSL DMs/instructors and you out there in the SB community who dive these temps all of the time - way to go!!

I dove with Dive Cabo which is located in the Tesoro Hotel on the marina. There are a few other ops located in the same building as well as around the marina. Dive Cabo had cheaper rates/multi day discounts some of the other ops didn't have. The staff was nice and multi-national - had not only DM's from MX, but Scotland and France, as well. The routine was to arrive at the shop by 8 am, but we never left the bay until about 9 - the only thing I didn't really like - waiting. M,W,F morning dives were in the bay and T,Th in the Corridor. The Corridor definitely has less diver and boat traffic. They have several boats available - six was the maximum we had on a boat, split into 2 groups of 3. On my last day of diving, 4 of us went out on one boat and a family of 3 new divers on another. Dive times were 40 - 45 minutes, which was okay due to the temps. The water was pretty calm - a little current in the corridor and around Land's End, where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific. Boat traffic (dive boats, tour/sightseeing boats) in the bay causes a lot of waves. We saw whales on every dive trip we went out on.

Although the water temp was on the cool side, Cabo weather is great. We had highs of 75º F, lows of 65ºF and sunshine everyday. Chances of rain are very low as they average less than 10"/year (mostly in Sept.) There are a lot of topside activities available. On the water: catamaran cruises, snorkeling, evening dinner cruises, whale watching, parasailing, jet skis, fishing, whale sharks in La Paz. On land: atv's (and similar rides), horseback/camel riding, ziplines. We did a couple of excursions through Cabo Adventures and enjoyed them. They pick up and drop off at the resorts/hotels. Dove a day in the bay and a day at Cabo Pulmo 4 years ago with Cabo Adventures and thought, according to their website, that they only dove those 2 places - saw a smaller Cabo Adventures boat with divers in the Corridor, so they must do more than they advertise. They are cheaper than the other regular dive ops and might be worth a look.

Stayed at Los Cabos Golf resort which was about a 8-10 minute ride (50 minute walk) to the marina. A taxi was $14 one way for 4 of us (or 2 of us who were diving.) Uber can be used in Cabo and is a lot cheaper - $4-6 one way depending on the time of day. The resort offered the Covid rapid test for $30/person - results in an hour.

Only ate at 1 restaurant on the marina, but had a lot of recommendations for others. WTF Burgers uses Wagyu beef from the U.S. - it is good. Ate there last trip and our friends wanted to eat there again. We ate out mainly at our resort restaurant, the country club rr, and at the food court at Walmart. Also ate a lot that we fixed in our room.

Flew with Delta - from Indy, 1 stop in Salt Lake City. Used the immigration and customs forms printed from online to enter MX. Coming home, 1 stop in Detroit. Delayed in Cabo, but still made it to Detroit in time to catch flight home. Delta must have thought we wouldn't make the connection as the Delta app showed our flight had changed - it would have had us getting home the next day - scared us a little but we still had our seats on the original flight home. Used the app and Delta Fly Ready to have our vaccination/Covid test results verified and complete the attestation form - never showed anything to anyone other than my boarding pass in the app that showed I was "Fly Ready" - no paper copies needed.

The only bad part of the trip was getting home and having to walk from the taxi at the end of my driveway to the garage through 8 inches of snow, carrying my luggage.

Here's a few pics: puffer, scorpion, breaching whale, diamondback stingray, spotted boxfish

1CA274D2-78DD-409F-85E3-B49B0C7C6949_1_201_a.jpeg585F4C8A-F3DE-48DB-A25C-B7C3DB4FD692_1_201_a.jpegtempImage3Nga3L.png76FDE309-FADB-4A3B-A30F-2B41552D3F5D_1_201_a.jpeg483217DD-E26E-4DB2-BD87-18E81E814FFE_1_201_a.jpeg,

When is the best time of year to go?
For scuba and using visibility as the key factor, I've been told and read that November is best. Pretty sure the water is warmer also.

For just vacationing, anytime is good - great weather year round.

Was the operator required to keep quite a distance from the whales?
In some cases the question should be "should the whales be required to stay some distance away from the boats?" Not sure there is a requirement, but if there are a lot of boats (scuba, tour, whale watching, fishing) in the area and whales pop up, they all veer toward the whales. We paralled two while we were on a tour sailboat keeping about 20-25 yards away - one put a fin up out of the water as if waving goodbye.

I forgot to include in my report that I had an interest in going to Gordo Banks hoping to see hammerhead sharks. I knew the timing wasn't right as dive ops quit making the trip in January. I asked a DM about it and he told me they had been going once a week (but they did not go the 2 weeks we were there)and due to the Tonga earthquake, viz was poor and they weren't seeing any sharks in the area.

Pretty crazy when you're looking and waving at people on a boat and a whale pops up between you! I was too slow, but the whale in the picture was about 15 yards max from the boat.

tempImage9aHrnz.png

Thanks for the added info. I take it seeing whales is mainly done at the surface? Wonder how often divers see them underwater? I'm jealous of that whale; I've never seen one in person.

So this was your 3rd trip to Cabo. That says a lot about your satisfaction with it. Repeat business is the sincerest form of flattery! What led you guys to head back to Cabo, as opposed to a Caribbean destination or similar? You're based out of Indianapolis, so it's not clear travel arrangements would be an advantage (vs. someone living in California).

I had to remind myself what ocean you were diving in. At first, I thought that was a yellow stingray in the photo, then I remembered you were diving the Pacific Ocean (not the Caribbean Sea), so I decided it was likely an electric ray of some sort (I see no spines on the tail, which has substantial fins). Granted, I'm not up on skates or the finer details of rays, either.

I think you listed it was a diamondback stingray. I did a little Googling; seems that's a big black ray with spots that lives in freshwater. I thought I remembered a 'diamond' ray from my Galapagos trip, so with a little more Googling, I see there's a diamond stingray that extends to the Galapagos (and I suspect is what you were thinking of).

In the past several years, trip reports on the Cabo area have gotten a lot more common on ScubaBoard. I wonder what's driving that?

I had to remind myself what ocean you were diving in. At first, I thought that was a yellow stingray in the photo, then I remembered you were diving the Pacific Ocean (not the Caribbean Sea), so I decided it was likely an electric ray of some sort (I see no spines on the tail, which has substantial fins). Granted, I'm not up on skates or the finer details of rays, either.

I think you listed it was a diamondback stingray. I did a little Googling; seems that's a big black ray with spots that lives in freshwater. I thought I remembered a 'diamond' ray from my Galapagos trip, so with a little more Googling, I see there's a diamond stingray that extends to the Galapagos (and I suspect is what you were thinking of).

Interesting that this stingray has caught your attention. I saw and foto'd this exact same type stingray with the single spot, at los Islotes off La Paz, and for the life of me, I could not ID it.

When i saw jonhall's pic & ID above, I said "Aha, now I know what it was.""..... however, scrolling down and googling I have to agree w drrich - dont think its a diamondback stingray (and dont think its a diamond stingray either) ... so the mystery (for me) remains.

Thanks for the report jonhall. Im wondering if Cabo is in the future for me. Its super-easy to get to for me - direct flight.

When is the best time of year to go?
We've been twice, once in November 2017 and then again in November 2019. We were supposed to go in November 2020, but you know how that is.

We chose November due to research on diving conditions, which indicate that the water temperatures are at their maximum, as is visibility.

After diving the Caribbean for decades, and then finally trying the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, for us, Cabo San Lucas was the next logical step.

We love Pacific diving, due to the change in scenery from most of our other dives, plus CSL offers(ed) a lot of non-diving opportunities. Additionally, we have also taken diving day trips to La Paz and Cabo Pulmo.

So this was your 3rd trip to Cabo. That says a lot about your satisfaction with it. Repeat business is the sincerest form of flattery! What led you guys to head back to Cabo, as opposed to a Caribbean destination or similar? You're based out of Indianapolis, so it's not clear travel arrangements would be an advantage (vs. someone living in California).
Actually only 2nd trip to Cabo. This trip was on our friends vacation club - we usually book 2 weeks at a time on their deal or on our timeshare. Where we can go on our timeshare and/or their vacation club determines many of our trips. Choosing this particular trip over other Caribbean destinations was more about the ease of traveling to/from MX at this particular point in time. The area is great but we most likely have seen Cabo for the last time. This trip was actually about giving the diving a 2nd chance and being in warmer weather. My buddy didn't see diving any better than the first time we went (thought it was bad) - I just saw it as different and dove a day without him - he wants the clear Caribbean water.

There is no traveling advantage being in Indy unless I want to stay in the U.S. It is not a plus when traveling abroad - no direct flights available. Chicago, Detroit, and Cincinnati are the closest airports for direct flights to places we like to go. For us, connecting flights and hoping to catch that connecting flight to our destination or on the way home is a part of our travel.
I think you listed it was a diamondback stingray.
I saw and foto'd this exact same type stingray with the single spot, at los Islotes off La Paz, and for the life of me, I could not ID it.
I'm a goober!! I was going off of what the DM said and as I think about it, what he said was BULLSEYE ray. Not sure where I got diamond from.

Wonder how often divers see them underwater?
Never heard anyone talk about seeing them below. I got lucky in Kauai early 2019 and saw one on my 1st dive. Think I posted a not so great picture in a trip report. Thought it would be cool if it happened twice in my life, but didn't even hear any while diving in Cabo.

Never heard anyone talk about seeing them below. I got lucky in Kauai early 2019 and saw one on my 1st dive. Think I posted a not so great picture in a trip report. Thought it would be cool if it happened twice in my life, but didn't even hear any while diving in Cabo.

I dove Gordo Banks off of Los Cabos in December 2020. Hit the jackpot with schooling hammerheads (what we were there to see), with a school of 200+ hammerheads on both dives there. During our surface interval, the only other dive boat put divers in the water. About 500 yards from the boat, we saw a humpback whale suddenly lift up its tail and do a deep dive. Half an hour later, the divers from that boat surfaced, with a huge smile on their faces. They had seen the humpback underwater, AND the the school of hammerheads.
I loved, loved, loved that dive trip. While I didn't see humpbacks under water, during one of my dives in the Corridor, there were whales singing the entire time, and it sounded like they were getting so close that the four of us in the water spent pretty much the entire dive scanning at a distance to see if we could spot them.

I've also seen humpbacks from the dive boat in the Catalinas islands in Costa Rica on multiple dive days. And I heard them underwater at Isla del Cano further south, with the boat captain saying that they had passed within 300 feet of us. Unfortunately visibility was maybe 20 feet that day.

Actually only 2nd trip to Cabo. This trip was on our friends vacation club - we usually book 2 weeks at a time on their deal or on our timeshare. Where we can go on our timeshare and/or their vacation club determines many of our trips. Choosing this particular trip over other Caribbean destinations was more about the ease of traveling to/from MX at this particular point in time. The area is great but we most likely have seen Cabo for the last time. This trip was actually about giving the diving a 2nd chance and being in warmer weather. My buddy didn't see diving any better than the first time we went (thought it was bad) - I just saw it as different and dove a day without him - he wants the clear Caribbean water.

There is no traveling advantage being in Indy unless I want to stay in the U.S. It is not a plus when traveling abroad - no direct flights available. Chicago, Detroit, and Cincinnati are the closest airports for direct flights to places we like to go. For us, connecting flights and hoping to catch that connecting flight to our destination or on the way home is a part of our travel.

I'm a goober!! I was going off of what the DM said and as I think about it, what he said was BULLSEYE ray. Not sure where I got diamond from.

I was about to mention the Bullseye Electric Ray too, but you beat me to it in correcting the fish ID 👍

I’ve been in Cabo 6 times since 2011. I saw them in 3 out of 6 trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom