Which dive op in Cabo? Amigos Del Mar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suedownunder1:
Hello Divers.I have used most of the shops in Cabo at one time or another.I really like Baja Dive. I always get the same great service.The Dive Masters are the most helpful I have seen any where and they really know the sites.They are using Two new Boats and the have all safty gear and good big ladders.My last Dive with them they had just replaced all the gear new Regs. New b.c.d.s and Masks.They are located in the Tesoro Los Cabo Resort right on the Marina. All the Boats leave from the same Docks.I did Dive on Amigos new boat and it is really small in the back where the Divers sit so it was not Diver friendly. email Baja Dive at cooldiver2@yahoo.com
Ola Divers.There are some good places to eat right on the Marina Solomons Landing has a great Breakfast and they open early.They are in the Tesoro Hotel. Wonderful View of the Marina and top noch Service.
I Dive with a Shop called Baja Dive also in the Tesoro Hotel they have nice Boats and the best gear I have ever seen in Mexico.I think Baja Dive has been there for about 12 or 13 years and seems to get good reviews here on Scuba Board.We saw the boat from Amigos Del Mar it was a 25 foot Ponga style boat looked very old and had no shade to speak of.The last time I went into Amigos shop the owner Kevin was very rude to us so I will never reccomend them.
There is also a great lunch spot called Maros Shrimp House about 1 block off the Marina with combos of shrimp and steak or Lobster for around $17.00 great food and the best service.
Most of the Shuttles are around $12.00 to $15.00 each way we just walk outside and grab one there s 100s of them.
P.S Baja Dive is also the Local Denver Broncos Local fan Club H.Q.

I don't mean to hijack UnderwaterBumblebee's (UB) thread, but I feel that I need to chime in here (again). This being the internet, UB should take everyone's postings with a large grain of salt. In my opinion (and that's exactly what it is, an opinion), two recent postings which gave negative reviews to Amigos Del Mar are not particularly credible :no: . Want to know why that is my opinion? Check out this older thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/149545-dive-ops-cabo-san-lucas.html

I wrote back then an amended recommendation for dive shops in Cabo San Lucas. I stand by my opinion. Do take my opinion with a grain of salt, as it's been a number of years since we've been in Cabo, but I suspect things haven't changed that much (maybe the timeshare sharks are more agressive now? :wink: )

Anyway, UnderwaterBumblebee, make up your own mind, but in any case, have a great trip!! If it were me, I'd be perfectly comfortable with Amigos Del Mar (if I'm staying at Solmar or Finisterra or similar place), or I'd be a happy repeat customer with Land's End Divers if staying more easterly of the Marina.

Regards,

hdtran

It seems to me someone that actually works for Baja, or has some vested interested in them, is posting under multiple names and discounting the other places to drum up business for them.

I don't have a problem with a representative from a company coming on here at all, in fact I wish more would, but don't hide it, and just tell us why you're the better place. SB'ers aren't stupid and will figure out you're full of BS.

From the 'legit' reviews I've read, it seems that all of the bigger one (Amigos, Manta & Lands End) are all pretty good. As far as Baja, I haven't read a ton about them, but from the fact alone of a certain someone posting the way they've been posting, I think I'll avoid them. I appreciate all the honest opinions that others have given here.

Thanks hdtran, glad to know I wasn't the only one that thought several posts/posters sounded like one in the same. The grammatical errors alone were a dead giveaway. We had good communications with Amigos Del Mar by email and on the phone and have booked with them.

If your product is good you shouldn't have to even mention the competition to make yourself look better so those posts really rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks Chocoholic! What transportation do you usually take from the airport? We heard the property had a shuttle but we weren't sure if we would get into the airport in time to catch it. I emailed the hotel but received no response. My husband has been looking at Grey Lines Shuttle which does $36 per person round trip with the return.

Any good tips for cheap or good breakfast at the resort or nearby on our dive days?

We have used the Playa Grande shuttle, Baja Ground Service and rented a car. Any way will work, exept for a taxi which will be really expensive. For breakfast the Playa Grande has an awesome breakfast buffet (kinda expensive) and Sol Mar next door has good food too, but my favourite breakfast is at Mama's in town, I also like Soloman's Landing. On a diving day you probably want to just eat at the Playa and then go down the hill to the dive shop. Have a great trip.
Oh, check out the show at the Giggling Marlin, it's at 10pm or so, a bit risque but funny.

For anyone that has seen whale sharks or done the offshore dives from Cabo-
I want to swim with some sharks this fall. Whale sharks would be #1 but I am willing to settle for hammerheads.

I do get to swim with the reef sharks in St. Maarten all winter, well once a week anyway.

I have an offer for a free timeshare in Cabo, (gee, what a great investment!::wink:)

The other option I was looking at is way up at the top of the Sea of Cortez with Baja Air Adventures. This operation all but guarantees whale shark experience.

Now, has anyone done one or both with any advice?
n753487894_852028_6914.jpg

Thanks,

Just got back yesterday....hmmmm let's just say we found the first place we won't likely return to. Don't even get me started on the timeshares.

We were told the best place to see Whale Sharks is in La Paz. We did two dives at Gordo Banks to dive with the hammerheads and only saw two on one dive and one on the second. Water was cold 69 degrees for 3 mil suits and viz wasn't very good. I'll post more specifics later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom