Which Dive Knife is Best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal preference is this diving knife

Not let me down yet :wink:

Welcome to Scubaboard. One thing you may want to think about before posting is how old the thread is. This one ended in 2011.

Welcome to Scubaboard. One thing you may want to think about before posting is how old the thread is. This one ended in 2011.

True, but things change over time, new products etc so although may not be of much use to the OP the title may attract new readers.

Most titanium knives are junk because they do not hold an edge and trying to resharpen them is a nightmare.
People buy them because they do not rust/corrode.
Mission Knives is the only company I know that makes a Ti knife with a suitable alloy.

A better alternative would be a knife made with N680 or H-1 stainless steel (probably the same or similar alloy), like the Spyderco H-1 line or Benchmade H20. I've owned the Benchmade 100SH20 for a couple years now and it's been great. Sharper than all the Ti knives out of the box, US Made, quality sheath. Now discontinued but can probably still be found online. The new version is the 110H20 River/Dive.

Last edited:
I use cheap folding lock blade knives modified to carry diving. I always carry one as a backup when I am working and this is the only type I use when sport diving. I did not modify the top one in the pic, that is a folding lock blade built into a carabiner that I got as a gift but have never used. The file is what I use to sharpen the blades, this raises a lot of burrs that act as a microscopic saw blade, perfect for cutting fishing line.

IMG_1958.jpg

I use cheap folding lock blade knives modified to carry diving. I always carry one as a backup when I am working and this is the only type I use when sport diving. I did not modify the top one in the pic, that is a folding lock blade built into a carabiner that I got as a gift but have never used. The file is what I use to sharpen the blades, this raises a lot of burrs that act as a microscopic saw blade, perfect for cutting fishing line.

View attachment 174219

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: be serious man ;-)) ..... have you something authentic ( with all that rust ) from yours civil war too ?

I would suggest a EMT or a cut-off steak knife. As for knife goes, a cut off steak knife cut through things very very well, better than most of the dedicated dive knife I have used They don't rush easily. They are cheap, so if you lost one, it is easily to replace.

And folding knife is a bad idea. If you wear gloves, you probably won't be able to open it. Even if you can, it takes 2 hands, some thing you probably can't do with you are entangled

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: be serious man ;-)) ..... have you something authentic ( with all that rust ) from yours civil war too ?

I do not care what it looks like so long as it works. The blade is razor sharp, with lots of burrs that are perfect for cutting fishing line. A knife sharpened using an 8" bastard file will out preform any knife that has been sharpened using a stone.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 08:43 AM ----------

And folding knife is a bad idea. If you wear gloves, you probably won't be able to open it. Even if you can, it takes 2 hands, some thing you probably can't do with you are entangled

I have never had a problem opening these with gloves on and in the case of the bottom knife in my pic I can open that with one hand. The knife in the middle I modified by cutting out part of the handle to make it easier to open with gloves on.

Back
Top Bottom