Which dive computers provide average depth in their logs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am really interested in somebody providing a definition of "average depth". is is mean? median? midrange?

Cumulative moving average?

Which is meaningless after the dive. 5 minute moving average? 10 minute moving average? A moving average is used to provide "moving" information about a small segment of a data set. It will start to ignore the beginning of your dive.

Maybe you are thinking of weighted average?

My point is that there are many different averages. Which one does your dive computer provide?

Which is meaningless after the dive. 5 minute moving average? 10 minute moving average? A moving average is used to provide "moving" information about a small segment of a data set. It will start to ignore the beginning of your dive.

My point is that there are many different averages. Which one does your dive computer provide?
No, the point is that it is a simple mean, calculated up to the point in time that is being displayed. A few minutes later, it may be a different number. At the end of the dive, it is just the mean of all the depths.
Is that what you wanted to know?

You want your average depth so that your download software, or you, can calculate your RMV. I dive an AI Oceanic VT3, the download includes both my avg depth and my RMV
upload_2017-3-7_19-26-31.png

upload_2017-3-7_19-27-45.png

If you do not have an AI computer, you must track your gas consumption with starting and ending pressure. There are many simple applications to assist you in the calculatons DiveNerd - SAC Rate / RMV Calculator, Imperial Units

Actually, it appears that your point is to hijack this thread without really adding anything of value. If you don't like to calculate your SAC that's your business. The OP has his own intentions.
I was trying to give @giffenk the benefit of the doubt, but I ran out of patience.

I didn't read it as a hijack. I thought it was a fair question. I have used it to calculate my SAC, but I have to admit I never thought about what my computer was actually doing. Intuitively, I figured it was a simple mean, but that's not necessarily what it is and you may actually want it to be something different depending on how you use it. If indeed the sole purpose is to calculate SAC, then a simple mean is probably best, but just because that's how I was using it, doesn't mean that's why it was put there. Perhaps I was hijacked, but it made me think and so it was worthwhile.

Correction to the definition. It is NOT "cumulated moving average", it is "Cummulated Time Weighted Average" if you will Take two quick examples.
1. if you spend 10 minutes at 100ft, then 10 minutes at 50ft. Your average depth is 75ft. Obivous, right
2. if you spend 10 minutes at 100ft., then 40 minutes at 50ft. Your average depth is only 60ft. it is average over the dive time

I use this number during the dive too, so I prefer a computer with such a feature. One way I use it is to determine my average SAC during the dive. I know what it should be, and I keep track of it mentally and only double with gauge every so often. If I am way off, I know something is not right, either I am working too hard, something makes me uncomfortable, something is leaking ....

I also use it for reference for a few other decision, like time to ascent, deep stop depth .... I like it and I won't buy another computer without real time average depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom