Which dive computers provide average depth in their logs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelan-pelan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting another dive computer. My old Suunto provides average depth as well as maximum depth in the dive log. I find this very helpful. It helps me keep track of my dive profile. I know what I planned to do, I keep an awareness of depth during the dive, then the average depth on the log helps to confirm this. If I need to, I double check with the dynamic log.

I am surprised that some modern dive computers do not provide this information in their logs. So which dive computers do?

I'm thinking of getting another dive computer. My old Suunto provides average depth as well as maximum depth in the dive log. I find this very helpful. It helps me keep track of my dive profile. I know what I planned to do, I keep an awareness of depth during the dive, then the average depth on the log helps to confirm this. If I need to, I double check with the dynamic log.

I am surprised that some modern dive computers do not provide this information in their logs. So which dive computers do?
I am curious, why are you fixated on "average depth"?
AND: Is there a standard definition of "average depth"?

My computer allows me to download my profile and get an exact picture of my dive. I really don't care about depth details and am more interested in things like sawtooth behaviour and fast ascents. Early on I used this information to temper my up and down behaviour a bit. I had a video camera and would randomly chase fish up and down during the dive. I don't do that anymore.

So: What information does average depth provide?

My Oceanic Veo 2 does, but only after the import to computer.

What information does average depth provide?

Can be used to calculate your sac rate. That's what I use it for anyway.

My Oceanic Veo 2 does, but only after the import to computer.

Can be used to calculate your sac rate. That's what I use it for anyway.
I have not really paid much attention to SAC as we dive fairly shallow and have never been limited by gas.

Why do I need to know my SAC?

I have not really paid much attention to SAC as we dive fairly shallow and have never been limited by gas.

Why do I need to know my SAC?
So you can plan your dives. You don't plan your dives? That's another thread....

I do not understand this statement. You can run out of gas at shallow depths and never get close to your NDL. Do you mean you always do relatively short dives?

I am really interested in somebody providing a definition of "average depth". is is mean? median? midrange?
I do not understand this statement. You can run out of gas at shallow depths and never get close to your NDL. Do you mean you always do relatively short dives?
Yes - i limit ever dive to less than 90 minutes because i get hungry.

I have Perdix AI .. and it shows the average depth as well as the max depth in the dive log .. but it is expensive ... and the algorithm is completely different than Sunnto RGBM ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom