which deco software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B:
Since you posted this in the cave forum, I assume that is where you intend to use it.
I'll be down there next weekend starting into deco with Johnny so I'm a bit curious on this one myself.

How does one use a deco software to plan a dive that they don't know what depths or when they will get to those depths or how long they'll be at those depths. Say I'm planning on doing a dive in the Devils sysytem at Ginnie. If it's a new piece of cave that I've never seen before, how will I know the depths or the times at those depths or how long it will take me to get to those depths. Then there is the whole reverse profile deal because the cave may go deep, then shallow, then deep, then you turn and you have to go back shallow, and then deep again before you exit.

Anyone have any insight to this?

Jason,
GDI answered your question as to the hows. The key is that cave systems are about building experience in the system and you need to keep detailed logs on your dives in each system. As GDI said you plan for deeper depths when pushing farther than you have been before. If you hit a depth deeper than your plan you turn the dive and make a new plan. When I was diving tables in caves I would plan 10' increments from my deepest depth and depending on the depth would write out a plan up to 40' deeper. It takes time but will give you a very good feel for deco obligations. Many are comfortable with deco on the fly but I have found it to have some issues when on long dives. I myself don't use it but you look at it and decide if it is something you want to use.

Bobby

anybody here who would NOT use VPlanner?

H2Andy:
anybody here who would NOT use VPlanner?
Me! won't run on my computer!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom