which deco software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you posted this in the cave forum, I assume that is where you intend to use it.
I'll be down there next weekend starting into deco with Johnny so I'm a bit curious on this one myself.

How does one use a deco software to plan a dive that they don't know what depths or when they will get to those depths or how long they'll be at those depths. Say I'm planning on doing a dive in the Devils sysytem at Ginnie. If it's a new piece of cave that I've never seen before, how will I know the depths or the times at those depths or how long it will take me to get to those depths. Then there is the whole reverse profile deal because the cave may go deep, then shallow, then deep, then you turn and you have to go back shallow, and then deep again before you exit.

Anyone have any insight to this?

Good questions. I betcha they talk about this in Cave 1 or Cave 2. :)

Jason B:
Anyone have any insight to this?

I would hope you'd talk to some folks with experience in that part and understand what your likely depths will be. Cut a couple tables and monitor your dive to know which one is correct. If all else fails go to the Navy deco table that should be in your pocket and re-calc the old fashioned way.

Or go learn ratio deco.

CD_in_Chitown:
I would hope you'd talk to some folks with experience in that part and understand what your likely depths will be. Cut a couple tables and monitor your dive to know which one is correct. If all else fails go to the Navy deco table that should be in your pocket and re-calc the old fashioned way.

Or go learn ratio deco.

Well of course I'd have an idea and would talk to those that have done the dive before (if they are available - does that not equate to a trust me dive? Going by what someone says?).
And yes, I carry tables in my pocket but a square profile would yield ridiculously long decos (of course if that's what's required. I'll do just that). Just thought I'd ask.

Also keep in mind that it may take me longer to get a point in the system than it does you. You may read the flow better (or worse) than me resulting in a different profile. So many variables in a cave it seems.

PerroneFord, according to GUE, cave 1 is limited to 500psi penetration, 100ft max and no deco (which would be tough to get into with the 500psi/100ft limit).
Love to hear an answer that doesn't involve GUE though. Seem they are brought up in every thread here.

Like I said, I'll be in class next weekend so I'll ask there.

Andy, to keep on topic, I'm using Nautilus from Joel at TDL. I use a Mac and this is about the only choice with out resorting to putting software on my machine from the evil Microsoft.

I'm no cave diver, just offering what I learned as a GL wreck diver. I agree there are alot of variables with cave passage and perhaps some cavers can give a better answer. Doing wrecks my profiles are mostly square, but last nights dive at 110 for 30 yielded more deco on V-planner than on the navy table. The navy tables are pretty lenient actually.

Jason, it seems to me that those are really good questions. Will you give us at least a synopsis of the answer after your class?

Jason B:
Well of course I'd have an idea and would talk to those that have done the dive before (if they are available - does that not equate to a trust me dive? Going by what someone says?).
And yes, I carry tables in my pocket but a square profile would yield ridiculously long decos (of course if that's what's required. I'll do just that). Just thought I'd ask.

Also keep in mind that it may take me longer to get a point in the system than it does you. You may read the flow better (or worse) than me resulting in a different profile. So many variables in a cave it seems.

PerroneFord, according to GUE, cave 1 is limited to 500psi penetration, 100ft max and no deco (which would be tough to get into with the 500psi/100ft limit).
Love to hear an answer that doesn't involve GUE though. Seem they are brought up in every thread here.

Like I said, I'll be in class next weekend so I'll ask there.

Andy, to keep on topic, I'm using Nautilus from Joel at TDL. I use a Mac and this is about the only choice with out resorting to putting software on my machine from the evil Microsoft.

Jason,

In Ginnie I just fly the computer. I carry two and I have observed over time that mine is set up to give me similar profiles to VPlanner, at least for the profiles I have done.

Since I am still relatively new in caves, I usually clear the 30 foot stop before I can get shallower than 30 feet, so the only stops I have left start at 20 feet on pure O2.

I still have the tables in my pocket, but I have not used them. I do understand your question though, it is hard to plan on what depths and run times at those depths you will encounter in a cave until you have done it a few times.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom