Which crop/placement do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Forgetting about color for now. Just cropping and which way the fish is facing.
fairybasslet.jpg

Fairybassletedited2.jpg

I like #1 better, too.

I prefer #1 because it leaves more room for the fish from its face to the edge of the photo. #2 crowds the fish.

#1 for sure. It's a great shot, even though the fish isn't centered. The enlargement on #2 is too much and it brings out the fact that the focus is not quite perfect on the head.

Number one --and here is why...

In western culture, our eyes move from left to right, which is how we read. So we are strongly conditioned to look from left to right in pretty much everything we do (one of the reasons it makes more sense to drive on the right side of the road --we want to look left first).

Because of the left first bias, the second photo looks crowded. Our eyes pass by the fish, or at least the most interesting part of the fish --and we are left looking at a less interesting part of the photo.

One technique in photography is to try to put a 'return' on the right side of the frame, something that naturally sends your eyes back into the picture.

I would say, for this shot, the first crop is much stronger.

Jeff

Interesting explanation Jeff - thanks !! Something else to bear in mind next time I'm out taking pics. Very useful advice & technique.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom