Which crop/placement do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

#1 here also.

Well, it is unanimous, both here and on Wetpixel. The second one is the position the fish was in when I captured it. A friend of mine liked the photo and wanted to use it for a presentation she was giving to her dive club, but she wanted me to send her the original so she could crop it the way she wanted. So I asked her to send it back to me when she was done so I could see what she had done to it. When she sent it back, she gave me the same explanation Jeff did. At first I totally agreed with her because everything she said was the same kinds of things judges say in competitions. But then I started loving MY capture of the fairy basslet, one of my favorite fish as you can tell from my screen name. And that shot was the best I had gotten in 4 years of trying!! The first one I would post publicly!!! :11: So I decided to get totally unbiased opinions, just to give me a reality check. :rofl3:

Thank you for taking the time to look at it and comment. One suggestion from Wetpixel that I do agree with for the first one, and that I will do, is crop a little behind and on top of the fish. That is more consistent with the kind of crop I would do, especially if I think the background might be distracting.

I fliped number one back and forth and it did feel a little strange facing left. It seemed to have more negative space in front of the fish when facing left. I cropped it to put the head closer to the rule of thirds (still leaving some swimming room) and I like it as well as the one that points right. With your permission (I'll remove it if you want), here is what I did:

fairybasslet1.jpg

Thanks. I like that a lot. I think the reason why I prefer it facing left, deep down in my heart, is because the glimmer on the tail seems more pronounced when it's facing left. Better than when it faces the other way. It may just be my imagination but that's the way I see it.

I was going to take the original, flip it, and crop it a little differently than the one I posted here. Now I'm also going to take your idea and work it into the original. The original leaves a lot more wiggle room than the one my friend cropped.

BTW, I used my original crop as my D2D avatar, and it looks really good small :rofl3:.

I prefer the one that reflects reality, whichever one that is.

So I re-cropped the fairy basslet. What do you think? This is the flipped version.
Fairybassletoncoralhead.jpg

I then tried flipping it to the way I originally captured the fish, just to see what it looked like. :rofl3:
Fairybassletoncoralheadflippedtoori.jpg

Back
Top Bottom