Which course for Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackcrusader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am interested in doing a course for Solo diving in the future.

There are different agencies offering similar type courses. Padi Self Reliant, SDI etc
Appreciated for those who have done courses what they liked about them. I may choose the SDI course but no committed to any agency yet.

I am not looking to be a frequent solo diver but want to learn from the course materials.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but I’ve read here previously that PADI didn’t have a text for its self reliant class and some PADI instructors were using the SDI solo book.

I did the SDI class two months ago. It was very thorough and challenging. Redundancy and gas planning weren’t new to me. I dive SM and was very used to slinging a pony when single tank.

One thing to keep in mind - there have been some posts here where people reported that some locations/dive ops would only accept the SDI Solo class. So something to keep in mind.

They are basically the same course, so the real difference is the instructor.

They are basically the same course, so the real difference is the instructor.

Yes as is often the case the instructor is what makes a course good or not as the case may be.

One thing to keep in mind - there have been some posts here where people reported that some locations/dive ops would only accept the SDI Solo class. So something to keep in mind.

My wife lived in the Philippines for 5 years and she would like to live there again. After this Wuhan virus situation is more settled we may spend 6 months there each year. So I like diving with dive centers but there will be times when I can just rent tanks and do my own dives. I normally take 10 - 14 weeks vacation a year for diving. So work 6 weeks dive 2 weeks etc.

Getting ready for a life of more downtime from work.

Some dive ops will tell you the PADI "solo" class is actually a "Self Reliant" class (technically that's the name of the course) and they do not recognize it as a true "Solo" certification. If you have a place or operator where you plan on going solo, best to check with them first if you opt for the PADI route to make sure they'll accept it.
I did the PADI course a couple of years ago and there was an e-learning portion I believe.

I have The PADI cert the only problem I ran into was a Blackbeards boat where they wouldn't allow solo for anyone. Figured out the Capt and DM were hardcore DIR divers so that may have been part of it.

Hi
It seems.you are diving regularly and then by just putting emphases on the diving parameters and relating them to your position in the diving curve, you are already prepared for diving solo. I am sure you are already aware of that :)
If you really want to formalise it, it might be better to take an adv nx and deco procedures course than these "solo" specialties. My 2 pesos :)

I did the SDI solo course about a month ago. Good experience. Focus was mostly on dive planning, gas planning, navigation, and emergency procedures. In truth I had been solo diving for a while and so nothing was really new but it was a good anyways. I had an excellent instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom