Which course for Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would imagine that your two solo graduation dives were an add-on

Yes, but valuable. It was freaky being uw by myself for the first time! Much more comfortable the second dive. :wink:

I don’t know if this is still the case, but I’ve read here previously that PADI didn’t have a text for its self reliant class and some PADI instructors were using the SDI solo book.

I did the SDI class two months ago. It was very thorough and challenging. Redundancy and gas planning weren’t new to me. I dive SM and was very used to slinging a pony when single tank.

One thing to keep in mind - there have been some posts here where people reported that some locations/dive ops would only accept the SDI Solo class. So something to keep in mind.

PADI does not have a student manual, but there is student text available for the course in the instructor guide. The course started as a distinctive specialty and then was converted to a standard specialty.

I have yet to run into an operator that would accept the SDI but not the PADI. I have found operators that refuse to recognize either.

The final dive of my PADI course was a planned solo dive. The goal was to plan a dive then dive the plan, shoot a DSMB and return to the dock and instructor (bubble watching) in the planned time and with the planned gas remaining.
The PADI Self Reliant course has 3 dives, is that correct?

The solo ticket is good on the off chance an operator deems you capable
Padi do not want you to dive alone they want you to be a self reliant diver
There is no course available that will aid you in preparation for solo diving

Solo diving is organising your thoughts with regards to your surroundings
unaccompanied
which cannot be taught you are either capable or you are not a diver or not

While I agree, no course can completely teach you mental skills needed for solo diving, I think most divers can benefit, and gain the physical skills required to safely dive solo, either through a course or experience.

Was looking about solo diving a few years ago, as it was interesting to me how you can dive solo, as solo was second rule you shouldn't brake when I was doing my OWD (just after don't hold your breath). At that time there wasn't any solo class available where I live. Can someone explain why agencies broke their own rule and are teaching solo now? It's interesting PADI named specialty "Self-Reliant diver" not "Solo diver".

In technical you learn how you need to rely only on yourself, so basically plan everything as you are alone. But still there was rule: don't dive alone.

I admit I have done a few solo dives in my life, so don't burn me here :)

Was looking about solo diving a few years ago, as it was interesting to me how you can dive solo, as solo was second rule you shouldn't brake when I was doing my OWD (just after don't hold your breath). At that time there wasn't any solo class available where I live. Can someone explain why agencies broke their own rule and are teaching solo now? It's interesting PADI named specialty "Self-Reliant diver" not "Solo diver".

In technical you learn how you need to rely only on yourself, so basically plan everything as you are alone. But still there was rule: don't dive alone.

SDI started it sometime in the late 90s? Apparently just decided provide some formal instruction in what many divers had been doing for years.

I only got solo cert to mooch about shallow at a quarry when buddies cancel at last minute or when I want to practice skills on a platform for an hour without boring a buddy.

Somewhere on the forum there is a discussion as to exactly where the "always dive with a buddy" came from. IIRC, it came from the YMCA scuba program, that developed from the swimming program, which recommended always swimming with a buddy. That's a hard line to back off from, once it has been established. IMHO A swimming buddy is much more valuable to a swimmer in distress than the typical "dive buddy" is to a distressed diver, but I digress... there are plenty of other threads lamenting the buddy/solo topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom