Which course for Solo certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of the degree of faffing about with gear, I think tiny backmount doubles is the deal for redundancy with modest gas. I got Erick's gorgeous freedom plate and have it mostly configured. Yet I see little chance I will use it much as it would mean carrying a pony to have redundancy. My backmount 40s (or some 50s) are a much easier unit to manage on land and in the water. Though by manage I do mean things like removing and replacing in the water.

I dive sidemount with a bit more faff, but it gives me extra benefits.

The 50s are much easier on my knees.

The main thing is that the solo diver's competent in the water and can resolve the myriad issues that face them alone.

Kit is a big part of that, but mostly skills and experience.

[I do draw the line at a Spare Air as a backup device (as is listed in the Solo Diver spec above). Small pony bottles are dubious enough -- as people don't tend to check them on every dive -- but a Spare Air has very little volume and certainly not enough to get from 20m AND do a safety stop]
Agreed. I do not allow the SpareAir if I'm teaching solo. Note that it is NOT allowed in the PADI version of the course.

Spare Air is such a small volume (1.7, 3 or 6 cftrt) when even compared with a 3 litre (22cf) pony cylinder = >600 litres which is barely adequate for solo use.

I’d want one for getting out of a capsized yacht (AC75?) but would want substantially more for any dive, especially a solo dive. How can you test it without depleting its contents?

My life’s worth more than that.

Back
Top Bottom