Which Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVRICK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have picked out my regs HOG D3/Zenith and BP/W HOG SS backplate, harness and 32# Wing. Now I have to find a computer. Main requirements are easy to read and understand, So far I have looked at Suunto Zoop, Suunto Vyper, Hollis DG03 and Oceanic Veo 1.0. Suggestions comments and other computers I should consider? Thanks for your help.

If your only requirement is easy to read and understand, then why is your list so short? Computers aren't that hard if you know how to use them.

Of the options presented go with the Hollis.

The list is short because I stuck with brands I am familiar with and that are in the price range I want to stay near. I am making the assumption that almost all computers on the market follow safe practice and tables and that they function as represented.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 09:22 PM ----------

I am open to other options and would love to hear them based on your experience.

I went to the LDS to check out the suunto vyper air, and ended up with a Luna because of the nice big easy to read display.

Mine had a bad battery that started reading low after about 15 dives. Manufacturer replaced it under warranty.

I recently went through the same process with the same computers. For ease of use and ease of sight I went with the Suunto Zoop. I'm very pleased with it. DG03 and Oceanic were not as legible to my 50 year old eyes. YMMV.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I haven't seen the DG03 in person, are the numbers easy to read? Nope you haven't steered me wrong.

Be sure it will handle Nitrox. That's something a lot of people end up diving eventually.

Check whether any unit you are interested in has user replaceable batteries.

I like the option to download dive data from the dive computer to a regular computer. This allows me to log my dives without bothering to write much down soon after the dive. Especially with the camera rounding out my data collection for what I saw and when. Some computers require additional purchase of an expensive download cable. But this is a feature worth having in my book.

If your computer is air-integrated, then it can record start & stop air pressures to make logging dives even more automatic. Air-integration does tend to add cost.

Wrist vs. gauge computes are a big deal to some. An air-integrated wireless wrist unit is likely out of your intended price range, but lets you glance at your wrist without messing with a console or SPG. If you get a non-AI wrist unit, you've still got the SPG to keep up with.

I see the computer Chrpai linked for you have the option to buy a wireless transmitter and PC download kit separately, after-the-fact, so you could spend $250 on sale for a nice wrist unit, AND add the wireless AI and download capability later if you wanted to. I'm not familiar with that computer, other than that Hollis is a reputable name brand in some other things, but I'd seriously consider it.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom