Which computer to buy with Trimix in mind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another big plus with the Predator is that they are developing a VPM model for it, which should be available free to users in a forthcoming update, allowing the user to select their favorite model, VPM or Buhlmann with GF.

They're also getting a second-counter, (the lack of seconds is one thing I don't like about mine now), and a few other tweaks. I can't wait for that.

While are software updates are typically free, VPM will be a chargeable option. It is a substantial undertaking that will tie up resources for months.

The second counter is part of our next release that is going into "release candidate" stage next week. It will be free.

Bruce

Bruce, I just took delivery of my predator this evening. All looks great. Could you give me a feel for what I may expect the VPM update to cost. Also when I am ready to upgrade to CC, do I do that update through you or a retail location?

Thanks, Walt

Bruce, I just took delivery of my predator this evening. All looks great. Could you give me a feel for what I may expect the VPM update to cost. Also when I am ready to upgrade to CC, do I do that update through you or a retail location?

Thanks, Walt

We don't really know what the cost will be, but we're estimating $75.

Both the VPM option and the CC option will be available through your dealer.

Bruce

Ben, the focus of this post was to learn about the differrent trimix computers. That certainly doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to learn more about bottom timers etc.
I am currently diving tables with gauges and timers.
Before getting my Shearwater I spent two years diving tables with bottom timers. Cutting tables is fine, it's disciplined, requires good situational awareness, but I felt the time had come start diving a computer.

This does not mean I will lose my discipline and situational awareness. When I was training to get my private pilot license I was taught to navigate using paper maps and an E6B "computer". Computer is a gross overstatement because the E6B is nothing more than a circular slide ruler. We're talking, pre-electronics, 1st half of the 20th century technology here. Does that mean I will not use a GPS because I have the training, skills, discipline and awareness to effectively do dead reckoning navigation. Of course not. Same with the Shearwater.

I love the dive planner feature of the Shearwater. It's packages in a wrist mount the basic functionality that Deco-Planner and MV-Planner provide . I played with it quite a bit comparing it to MV-Planner and Deco-Planner and I feel at ease using it to cut tables to carry with me as a backup.

Before the Predator, my primary computer was a Mares Puck used as a bottom timer. For solo staged deco dives, my redundancy was a Casio G-Shock with an wrist mounted analog depth gauge. The problem is that this particular gauge only goes to 150'. And besides, having another digital gauge would be nice.

I thought about getting a bottom timer, but they seem expensive when you compare them to simple computers that have bottom timer mode. Rather than cheap out and then have an extra computer that never gets used because in a future I got a decent, rebreather capable computer, I decided to be more efficient and get the fully capable computer now.

Both Liquivision and Shearwater are local to my metropolitan area. I also started considering the OSTC. At the beginning of my search, the Shearwater was the third choice. I was really attracted to the OSTC open source software philosophy (I'm writing this from Ubuntu Linux), but I hesitated because Germany is in the other side of the world. Service and responsiveness would be affected.

Even though I was aware that the Liquivision would end up being more expensive because of the software fee, I liked the fact that I had software options. I am very familiar with V-Planner and I trust it. I also know that if you get the desktop V-Planner you get free upgrades for life.

Shearwater just didn't seem to have software options. If I got the computer I would be married to them in terms of software choice. I knew they gave you a fully loaded machine and that you have to pay to unlock CCR features. Because of this, I incorrectly extrapolated that they would charge for any software upgrades, like adobe does whenever they have a new version of Photoshop.

But then other local users corrected my assumptions. They also gave me their impressions about the reliability, sturdiness and prompt customer service. So I ended going with a Predator and I don't regret doing so. Upgrades are free, frequent and relevant. They are very responsive. Right now I am testing out a beta version of an upgrade that they sent me. Very cool stuff.

While are software updates are typically free, VPM will be a chargeable option. It is a substantial undertaking that will tie up resources for months.

The second counter is part of our next release that is going into "release candidate" stage next week. It will be free.

Bruce

Ah, cool. Not trying to put out bad info, just got crossed up.

Can't wait. Awesome computer!

Awaiting the local lakes and quarries to thaw out to conduct my adv nitrox and deco certification dives in two weeks, I picked up a Predator yesterday. Tables will be cut mainly from MV planner but Predator will be used as main computer with my Back-up being Suunto Vyper in Gauge mode and my trustworthy Pathfinder watch. I picked it up because of its multigas as well as trimix should I wish to pursue that path

I am thrilled with mine so far. Very intuitive. Beautiful screen. Its not unduly big on the arm.

Looking forward to taking it deep soon and puting it through the paces its meant for.

Cheers, Walt

I have a Liquivision X1 and have previously dove a predator and was also Beta test diver for the Liquivision Xen and now beta test diving the Galileo with Trimix software.. I'll probably also beta test dive the Liqivision Xeo shortly..

Here are my comments:

Galileo SOL: Its "Open Circuit" Only and has beta trimix software and its using ZHL16 with gradient factors (they call them Micro Bubble levels).. The software is about 2-3 months out in my opinion, but when released it will be a solid Trimix computer with upgradable firmware.. the logging software is pretty awesome and you have a very very strong company behind them. the computer is LCD (grey with back light) and has a user replacable battery that lasts for at least 2 years.. It also has Integrated Air for up to 10 tanks!! almost all dive stores carry these and service is exceptional! These computers are expensive though.. expect to pay $1600+

Uemis SDA: I've dove them before and these are GREAT color OLED screen dive computers with a built in solar panel for charging the battery.. (no user replacable battery).. they currently dont have Trimix, but from my understanding its very close.. The CTO for Uemis was the guy that originaly wrote the Uwatec (Galileo) software for scubapro back when dive computers became popular.. the dive logging software is mostly online based and pretty neat.. It also has Integrated air like the galileo.. no idea on actual algorithm since its not out yet.. These guys are based in Sweden with some local stores now carrying/servicing them locally in USA..

Liquivision X1: This is an all Aluminum design, full 10 gas trimix Open Circuit or fully Closed Circuit Rebreather technical dive computer that has BOTH the VPM-B and ZHL16 algorithms available in the same software package.. I run Multi-deco and can switch between either algorithms with a single "tap".. Its a pretty small and completely potted device so it cant flood at all and has 2 depth sensors for redundancy and doesnt have any buttons.. i really like that with thick dry gloves. Its rechargeable so no batteries required and when traveling you never have to worry about "running out".. its nice and small and doesnt take a lot of real-estate..The screen is very bright and very readable! the company that manufactures them is in BC Canada and their customer service is absolutely phenomenal!! it does not have air integration and is a dedicated "tec" diving computer. You cant go wrong with this computer.. reliability with its current version 5 of the hardware is bar-none! They cost around $1,395 for the computer with PC cables and an additional $150-190 for the full CCR trimix multiple deco algorithm firmware.. (CCR PO2 controller is available as an option)

Shearwater Predator: This is a full color OLED 10 gas CCR and/or OC dive computer milled from solid block of Aluminum. The unit itself is fairly large and heavy (bigger than a galileo even) but sports a truly great color display. The current software is a ZHL16 with gradient factors, but will soon have a VPM-B option (at an additional charge), it has buttons to access the very easy to navigate menu system. the software is extremely easy to use and makes good use of colors to indicate status (like red = bad). it has a user replaceable battery. This is a solid solid dive computer thats also made in Canada with great customer support. it does not have air integration, but does have bluetooth for uploading/downloading.. this is a GREAT computer and you cant go wrong here either.. the cost for the Trimix CCR/OC computer with ZHL16 is $1,345 (plus whatever additional charge there will be for VPM-B) and the PO2 controller CCR unit is $1,895

Liquivision Xen: This is a color OLED bottom timer only.. it has the same "tap" interface and is also potted, but it has a user replacable battery.. only difference is, that you cant flood the computer because its potted.. Also, you dont REALLY need a dive computer to dive trimix dives.. I dive mostly on a bottom timer only.. if you have a V-Planner/Deco Planner dive all mapped out and written down its very easy to use.. and if the dive goes pear-shaped you have ratio-deco to back you up.. its simple, easy and everyone follows the exact same time schedule. (I have a review written up on the Xen on "The Deco Stop"). the cost of this unit is $499

Liquivision Xeo: exactly the same body/hardware as the Xen, except that this pretty color OLED machine now sports a full 10 gas trimix dive computer firmware on it! this device is imminent for release and I'll get my beta test unit soon.. (i'll post a review when i get it) cost will be $1199 for full trimix OC/CCR

I hope this helped somewhat and did add to your confusion :)

Back
Top Bottom