Which comp for a novice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everest

Reaction score
I will (hopefully) be taking my OW in Mexico later in the year. Which computer would be best to start with? I probably won't bother getting into nitrox or deco dives.
How about the Suunto Vyper, or would something a bit cheaper be sufficient? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

suunto makes really good computers, I dont know model but I have heard a lot of good things about it hear on this board. You may want to rethink the nitrox thing. Most computers come with nitrox capability for the same price and as they say "better safe than sorry" Might save you some $ in the future.

Thanks 125. The Vyper does come with nitrox capability anyway.

I see you haven't gotten your OW cert. yet. Have you already purchased any other gear? In terms of priorities for purchasing dive gear, I'd put the computer somewhere at the end of the list. BC, regs, suit would come right after personal equipment.

Just a thought.

Brian

I have used the Suunto Cobra and my son has just bought a Vytec. Very good dive computers and they provide a good safety margins in their algorithms.

However, I will have to go with bwerb on this one. Wait until you have worked with your tables a bit and complete your OW cert. After that the worlds your oyster.

Good luck to you and dive safe, dive happy.

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

I wouldn't recommend a "beginning d.c." Learn what you need and buy your d.c. based on that. I started with a Suunto Cobra and still use it.

Why did I start that way? I needed an SPG/Depth gauge at any rate. The Cobra filled these functions and added a fully functioning d.c. I knew that I was going to be getting into diving in a big way, so it made sense.

I know of divers who use a small SPG and a Mosquito. That has been a good combo as well. And the Mosquito doesn't cost that much more than a good dive watch. BTW, the way the Mosquito is my back-up for Caribbean diving because I am always wearing it as a watch so it is with me and I don't have to worry about forgetting it back at the hotel room.

But to echo another couple of pieces of advice, get your basic equipment first, buy your dive watch/computer/ (insert other kinds of timing device) later. Also, whatever you do, don't waste your money on a non-nitrox compatible computer! You may be diving nitrox sooner than you think and the price difference isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom