Which cert card to present

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I got asked for my dive log, why couldn't I show them the log on my Mares Icon? It holds information from my last 100 houes of diving and, obviously, I always have it along when I'm diving.

If I got asked for my dive log, why couldn't I show them the log on my Mares Icon? It holds information from my last 100 houes of diving and, obviously, I always have it along when I'm diving.
how do they know it is "your" dive computer?
my dive computer has done some really crazy dives in my pressure chamber (testing camera gear)... not sure i would want to show those dives.

how do they know it is "your" dive computer?
I can fake a logbook any time you want.

I can fake a logbook any time you want.

my point was that lots of us can fake a dive computer as well

Both can be relatively easily faked if you are willing to put in a little time and effort.

Want 50 dives for DM? Write them up in your log book yourself and forge a signature (or get a potentially non diving mate to sign it). Who will know? No-one but you.

Want the same 50 dives on a DC? Easy to rig up a pressure vessel and ramp the pressure up in such a way as it would replicate a square profile.

The question is why you would want to fake it - personally I would rather just to the relevant dives. Far more fun.

You don't even need a pressure vessel. A fishing rod and reel, plenty of fishing line, a quarry or lake and some time. Change time and date settings between dives. Would take a lot of hours and bother, but can be faked.

Faking a paper log sounds faster and easier.

there is history of several insurance carriers just settling.
I was recently in a car accident that was 100% the fault of the other driver. I contacted my insurance company, and they flat out told me that I had a good policy in terms of liability, and if the other part were to sue, they would indeed settle immediately without disputing it. That is because in the long run, it is cheaper to make small settlements than it is to fight the cases, even when you are sure you are going to win. They tell you it doesn't cost you anything, and it costs them less than fighting it.

It can be a problem for you, though, in other ways. Let's say you are an instructor involved in some way in a dive that includes a fatality, and you are pretty sure you have no fault. Your insurance company agrees. When you are sued, they offer a small settlement for the reasons stated above, which the plaintiff immediately accepts because they have no case. The settlement is made, as is always the case, "with prejudice," the legal phrase that means they cannot ever sue on that case again. So then after that, someone who does not like you says that your claim that you were not at fault in this case is false, and as evidence they say that the case "was settled with prejudice against you," which people who do not understand take to mean you were found guilty. Your reputation suffers significantly.

(Yes, I am talking about the circumstances of a real case, not a hypothetical one.)

I would have thought that the Malta Extradition saga discussed in detail on SB would be enough to discourage anyone from presenting a higher certificate.
Stephen Martin went through hell just because he was the more experienced and qualified diver on the trip even though there was clearly no case to answer.

Malta Extradition
Wow! That was a bizarre saga. Somehow I missed the original threads. It gives me pause to feel sad for you pro divers out there.

lowest cert that allows you do the desired dive.

. . .So then after that, someone who does not like you says that your claim that you were not at fault in this case is false, and as evidence they say that the case "was settled with prejudice against you," which people who do not understand take to mean you were found guilty. Your reputation suffers significantly. . . .

Then sue the person who said that for slander. :wink: Then his insurance company can pay you a settlement and have the case dismissed with prejudice....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom