Which cenotes near PDC should I visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laikabear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

I'm going to Playa del Carmen for a work conference in April 2018. I'll have 3 days (non-consecutive) to dive and I'd like to do cenotes dives only. I can request which ones to visit (up to 6) with the op I'm going to be using (Playa Scuba) and so I was wondering if there are any favorites I should request. One friend recommended Angelita and Dream Gate but I'd love to hear more opinions / advice. :)

The reason I chose Playa Scuba is some friends of mine are also going and they had a strong recommendation for that op. We will probably dive together one of the days, but they also want to do some reef dives in PDC and travel to Cozumel, so we won't be together for that.

I've already been to Cozumel and while it was great, I don't want to do a day trip down there this time.

About me, AOW and Fundies rec pass. No Cavern or Cave training.

Thanks!

Laika, you lucky dog--a conference in PDC!

I did my cenote diving from Tulum, and all were within a few minutes drive, so I don't think I can be of much help. Why not put your trust in Playa Scuba to show you the ones they believe would be most impressive to a first timer?

I may be wrong but I think that the Playa ops drive you all the way to Tulum or nearby to do the diving. So I may be visiting the same sites you dove, just with a longer trip.

I may be wrong but I think that the Playa ops drive you all the way to Tulum or nearby to do the diving. So I may be visiting the same sites you dove, just with a longer trip.

Yup, the cenotes are south of Playa and Playa ops will drive you there. I’ve recently did 8 dives there and let the op choose for us. Since we did not know which was “better” we just let the op choose for us. They did a good job at that. They are all different and beautiful in different ways.

Some, however, have more or less people in them in high/low season, and some have facilities and others don’t. But in terms of actual cenotes, the ones chosen for us really were beautiful in their own ways.

If you have the entire day, going all the way to Tulum from PDC to dive cenotes shouldn't be a problem. If you go that far, Car Wash and Temple of Doom are out the road that leads from Tulum to Coba. Angelita is a must if you are going to be there, and on the way back on that trip, I would recommend Casa Cenote. Couple of others that are really special are The Pit and Dream Gate (as already suggested). We've being going to the Riviera Maya for a dozen years, and haven't found a cenote dive we did not like.

Many years ago (it was my first dive trip) I went to Akumel and dove in some of the cenotes. I seem to remember that Cenote Taj Mahal and Cenote Dos Ojos were both very nice. I don't know if these are still available for diving or if they are on private property, but I remember they were both really cool dives.

Many years ago (it was my first dive trip) I went to Akumel and dove in some of the cenotes. I seem to remember that Cenote Taj Mahal and Cenote Dos Ojos were both very nice. I don't know if these are still available for diving or if they are on private property, but I remember they were both really cool dives.

Both of the cenotes you reference are open and regularly visited. Two good one's that we've done, as well.

Taj Maha is a great cavern dive. We dove the cave there a few weeks ago and saw several cavern groups on our way in and again coming back out. I gotta second the Pit at Dos Ojos also. I like the caverns at Eden too.

Avoid Chac Mool, as it is contaminated. Dos Ojos can be crazy busy.

Dreamgate is normally only done with people the guide already knows.

Avoid Chac Mool, as it is contaminated. Dos Ojos can be crazy busy.

Dreamgate is normally only done with people the guide already knows.

What do you mean “contaminated”? More info would be appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom