• Nissan Altima/maxima

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Dodge charger

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • elcipse/lancer

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honda has great value and dependability. I have been driving one for years and has not cost me a dime other than wear items. Toyota is making pretty good cars these days too.

I would not buy any of the cars listed above.

Now I did just buy myself a Prius, mostly for the carpool lane stickers, but have grown to really enjoy the car and how cheap it is to fill up. Plus a $3100 tax credit never hurts.

I would say Toyota, Honda, and some German cars (VW) thrown into the mix, and not a whole lot more. Not a fan of Nissans. If you want a foreign built car buy a Chevy, mine is built in Mexico.

Toyota is teaching us how to manufactur cars and other types of parts/equipment. The US is no longer the leader and we fall far behind on technology and longevity.

First you need to figure out your need, then drive all of them until you find the one that has a nice steering wheel and a pretty color.

Fuel prices are going to continue to go up and how much you pay in gas may dictate how long you keep the car, along with resale value. For instance Prius right now has one of the highest resale values around for a production car.

MikeC:
Some things to ponder: fuel economy, insurance rates in your area, crash test data, storage (both in the trunk and in the car), how many people do you need to regularly carry, reliability histories, size of parking area you have?

The Nissan's you list are two different models, check the size difference.

Don't let us decide for you, otherwise you may not really like our car, err your car. If someone points out a serious flaw in one of your choices or gives you good advise, that's great but you will have to drive and pay for that thing.

Lets put it this was I'm a 28 yr single guy and I need a car and while I'd love to get something like a mustang ( I can see it as a 2nd car), in the long run it worth? Am I going to be married w/ kids (or at least the way) in the next 4-5 yrs, I hope so. maybe I'm thinking too far ahead.
I am just looking for outside suggestions and thoughts. So by all means I'm not limiting myself to theses cars but I do not like hondas or kias. I'm all
I really need to is to go to work, run to the store, GO OUT. But I'm not going to get some tiny little thing. something I guess sporty and fun to drive but practical.
Yea, I know that the nissans are 2 different models BUT they are the SAME platform. Like the ford fusion is the same car as the mercury milan. Minor changes but all in all the same.

Get a Subaru. Subarus are some of the best value you can get. You'll love it in inclement weather.

My first Subaru is 10 years old and going strong. We just got a new one. If I lived someplace with mostly paved roads, I'd get a Honda hybrid. But other than that, Subarus are the way.

I've got...

Don't buy something brand new...spend a little time shopping for something with only a few thousand miles on it. It's amazing how many people buy a car, drive it a few months and either don't like the car or the payments and trade it back in. You'll probably get some kind of warranty on something that is relatively new, too.

That 'new car' feeling lasts about 20 seconds and suddenly it's just 'the car' again. That 'new car' smell is actually plasticizers (e.g., phthalates) and is generally not good for living things. Let the original owner have the thrill of inhaling toxic gases.

Buy the lightly used model and you'll easily save enough for a decent dive trip.

I got my Chevy HHR in November and LOVE it. I have the big engine (172 hp) and the gas mileage keeps climbing, only 4300 miles on her and it's going up from 28mpg. Completely loaded with scuba gear for 2 it was still getting 25mpg at 74mph on the highway. It's front wheel drive and handles great in the snow plus it slides straight and responds well to control inputs (had to put it through its paces!). I traded out of a Monte Carlo and I can tell you right now if you're going to be doing a lot of diving out of your vehicle you don't want a car. The HHR was the only thing that had enough "cool factor" to get me out of my Monte--I LOVED that car. I had to have something special on mine so I picked the stripes and the company that stripes the cars for the dealership put them on. It was the first HHR they'd had stripes on and it does get attention :D Definitely a babe-mobile!
Ber :lilbunny:

cyklon_300:
Don't buy something brand new...spend a little time shopping for something with only a few thousand miles on it. It's amazing how many people buy a car, drive it a few months and either don't like the car or the payments and trade it back in.

I will agree with this one. We picked up a nice Chevy Tahoe with 9,000 miles on it for $4,000 below low blue book. The reason was that they were buying a house and could not have the loan on their record if they wanted the house. The dealer offered them $2,000 less so they happily took our offer. Sometimes there are deals out there, but patience can help find them.

I would strongly recommend staying away from Mitsubishi.

Audi's are rock solid cars that will last for 300K miles, but do require maintenence to be done.

BTW, completely decked out with every option you can think of you shouldn't be able to make an HHR cost over $24,000, that was BEFORE they lowered the sticker prices.
Ber :lilbunny:

Why reject Hondas? They, along with Toyotas, are the most reliable, best engineered cars in the world and they look better and drive better than Toyotas.

Does your rejection of Honda include Acura? The TSX might be just the ticket. Actually, it sounds like you'll love the new Jetta. I think it's overpriced and it will always be more finicky than a Toyonda or Honota, but it is a good size, sporty and looks good.

My wife suggests the Subaru Forester. My family has owned many Soobies and they are good cars. The only drawback is you never stop paying at the gas pump for lugging all that AWD hardware around.

Back
Top Bottom