Which are the ultimate reefs to dive in Cancun, Cozumel, PDC, or around the area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BomberoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I 'm going to Cancun May 29 for the first time and wanted to know which are the best reefs to dive at? I really want to see big fish, sharks, turtles, and such. I want to dive Cancun, Cozumel ,PDC, or any area around there but not sure where. Since my spending budget when I go with my wife will be limited I want to chose the best reefs. I appreciate all your comments.
P.S. I 'm an OW diver, I bet that narrows down the choices...

well, if you go to coz then start with Santa Rosa, its large and full of life and easy for newer divers.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/johnfrancis/reefmap.jpg
Here's a segment from a promo map they hand out in Cancun showing the reef locations. Chitales is quite shallow (25') and has lotsa Southern Sting Rays and Angel Fish. It's a popular Resort Course site but alos great for a tuneup dive. Just above Chitales (off the map) and slightly to the west over near Isla Mujeres is manchones. A deeper site (35-45') with pretty reefs and plenty of fish. Another easy site.
All those sites south and east of Chitales are a bit deeper (max 60') with a bit of south to north current running making for a nice drift dive over the reefs. Barco C-55 and C-58 are minesweepers sunk in about 75' of water a few years ago. Great dives, easily penetrated, they should be starting to grow a little flora & fauna of their own now.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/johnfrancis/cavern2001.htm has a few pics of the wrecks and the cenotes at Akumal.
That pretty much covers the Cancun sites. I've tried diving at the Punta Nizuc (South) end but the conditions and scenery were never as good as the Punta Cancun end. If you dive with an op who departs from within the lagoon, you'll exit at the crossed channels just below the Punta Cancun name on the map and take a ride across the beach front area. If you are staying on the beach in the Hotel Zone facing east you can look north (with binoculars) from a high vantage point in your building to just east of the north tip of the strand and see the dive boats at work.

Enjoy the holiday
JohnF

BomberoDiver:
I 'm going to Cancun May 29 for the first time and wanted to know which are the best reefs to dive at? I really want to see big fish, sharks, turtles, and such. I want to dive Cancun, Cozumel ,PDC, or any area around there but not sure where. Since my spending budget when I go with my wife will be limited I want to chose the best reefs. I appreciate all your comments.

I did 18 dives last August with a buddy in Cozumel in 6 days. I would recommend diving there. Could have done more dives but ran out of time. We dove with a great dive operator. Her web address is www.scubawithalison.com. We are going to cozumel May 27th for a short weekend and will try to do 8 dives while there. You won't go wrong diving in Cozumel.

BomberoDiver:

Bombero,

You didn't say if your wife is also a diver?? On a limited bidget, it is a little hard to mix and match Coz, PDC & Cancucn. Plus there is always Isla Mujeres, another story in itself. My favorite place for turtles is "Tortugas" at Playa Del Carmen. I have seen some of the most beautiful and HUGE turtles on that reef. I have also seen shark and very large grouper on the same dive. The diving at PDC is from the beach in much smaller boats than usualy dived in Cozumel. Also the dives, as a rule, are a little less advanced. Just as an option, you may wish to contact Luis at www.sealifedivers.com. The last time I was there he told me he could arrange a hotel with meals for about $50.00 day for me and my wife. We stayed in the Iberostar but if I were going now I would probably contact Luis to see what he had going.

Now on the other side of the channel at Coz you can currently get a pretty good package deal with Aqua Safari or Paradise divers. I prefer another outfit but they are more expensive.

Almost forgot...I'll be in Coz May 8-15 with a group.

Regards,

I would have to agree with Cudabait on the PDC side of things. We did a 100' deep dive at Tortugas and cruised on a good moving current. We saw at least 5 sea turtles, spider crabs, eels, and a grouper the size of a cow. The highlight was seeing an 7'+ Marlin gently cruising about 50' over our heads. Our Dm said that was only the second time he had seen one on all his dives. We used Barracuda scuba and I enjoyed my time out with them and the boats are good and small with a max 6 divers aboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom