Which Aqualung Octo 2nd? or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm currently using a *pretty old* (circa 198?) U.S. Diver's rig. The primary 2nd is a "USD Select", the octo is a Std issue USD "Yellow" octo, and the console is the Monitor 2. (Does anybody besides me actually use the M2 anymore?)

I have really liked this rig and it has been very good to me over the last 10 years. (I got it used). My only beef with it is that it can be "a little" harder to breathe at depths > than about 120' (Not that I venture down there often!) or in "unusual positions" (like standing on your head looking up...), but not what I would really consider "uncomfortable"

I've recently purchased a Titan LX 1st & primary, (which I have yet to use) along with a Suunto Vyper console and am looking for the octo. (My decison to go with the Titan LX was based mainly on my faith in USD regulators, Rodale's reviews of that model, and the price I managed to get it at :).

I've heard mixed reports on the newer Aqualung LPO octo and was wondering:

1. If you use the Aqualung LPO octo, do you like it?
2. Might I be better off with a different (new or used) octo in the USD line?
3. Should I venture off to another manufacturer for the octo?

I don't mind a "franken-rig", and I've never been big on "warantees", so that doesn't bother me. (And as with other things in life, the best things may come in "mixed packages", ALA the Ford chassis with the Chevy engine and the Dodge powertrain. No flame wars please... :)

Seriously, I subscribe to the theory that the octo is *really* YOUR SPARE reg (should your primary fail, I know... rare...) and usually not something an OOA diver is likely to be grabbing for in an actual emergency anyway...

So I would prefer something that might "at least" qualify as a "capable" 2nd...

Unfortunately most LDS's don't offer a "try before you buy" policy.

Sorry to be so windy... but I'm a newbie to this board so I'll blame it on the current... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom