Which agency to choose for nitrox class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would argue against the GUE card because it is not universally accepted.
I don't know how universally accepted the DIRF card is or isn't for Nitrox fills, but if the card says Nitrox and the shop doing the fills won't accept it then the OP probably needs to either educate them or else find a new shop. I've only experienced this once with my IANTD Nitrox card, and the problem was that the DM-in-training had never seen an IANTD card before. :rolleyes:

Really, if you can show then you can analyze and mark a tank with the correct MOD (which is pretty easy for EAN 32 :D) then what's the problem?

If you are doing it just to be able to dive nitrox recreationally, then PADI has solid materials, the card is accepted everywhere, and it's all book work with an exam, no dives required. I'd go that route.
But if we all go out and get PADI cards just because we think nobody will recognize anything else, then we shouldn't complain when the day comes that only PADI cards are accepted.

I really enjoyed the TDI class. I am glad that the TDI went into the math portion. Some classes just teach you how to use your computer.

I don't know how universally accepted the DIRF card is or isn't for Nitrox fills, but if the card says Nitrox and the shop doing the fills won't accept it then the OP probably needs to either educate them or else find a new shop.

A DIR-F card won't get you a nitrox fill anywhere except, perhaps, through a GUE shop. And even that's questionable. Unless they've changed the curriculum since I took the class, DIR-F doesn't teach you anything about nitrox, except to tell you that you should be using it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A DIR-F card won't get you a nitrox fill anywhere except, perhaps, through a GUE shop. And even that's questionable. Unless they've changed the curriculum since I took the class, DIR-F doesn't teach you anything about nitrox, except to tell you that you should be using it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They changed the curriculum. It covers all the nitrox course stuff, includes toxing diver rescue and says nitrox on the back (it does specify 32%, though, which could cause some interesting arguments over a diver not being trained to dive gas which analyzes out to 31%).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's changed since you've taken the class. We actually had an entire handout dealing with Nitrox, the test had questions about Nitrox on it, and even states that the diver is trained to use EAN32% on the card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They have updated the curriculum since you took the class. It now includes a Nitrox cert (ironically, only good for 32%, since GUE only teaches standard mixes and trimix isn't taught at the fundies level).

Hi Bob,

Rumour has it that they aren't even using horse collar BCD's anymore either..........man, we are getting old........:) Good thing the fins haven't changed in 30 years..........

They have updated the curriculum since you took the class. It now includes a Nitrox cert (ironically, only good for 32%, since GUE only teaches standard mixes and trimix isn't taught at the fundies level).

Wow, so does this mean that technically, a Tech3/Cave3 diver is not certified to dive say, EAN28? :popcorn:

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom