Which agency to choose for nitrox class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soooo...why not take a class that trains you to dive all the levels (ie >21%-100%)?

...and isn't 36% a standard?

Im confused.

...and isn't 36% a standard?

EAN36 is a standard mix ... but not for GUE divers. Since this is the DIR forum, the DIR answer would be dive EAN32.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, if standard mixes are all that GUE divers dive...

Then why can I read articles in Quest where GUE divers were not diving "standard" mixes?

Because we live in an imperfect world? :wink:

I think the TDI basic Nitrox course nicely compliments GUE's Fundies Nitrox training. So personally, I would recommend the TDI course, just because it goes more in-depth with the real math behind it. Not terribly complicated, but PADI's class, in spite of the glossy pretty books, placed more emphasis on their converted tables than Dalton's Diamond (which is not even mention, IIRC).

If the OP has any tech aspirations, GUE or otherwise, you'll get a more thorough understanding of Nitrox diving... at any mix 21-40%... by taking TDI's course than you will from PADI's course. This basic understanding will serve well in Fundies and beyond, since you'll be better able to understand the elegant simplicity of GUE's 32% standard gas mix and the thinking behind it. And you'll be in a better position to make an educated decision for yourself if and when you elect to do a dive using a different mix, in spite of GUE's recommendations.

So personally, I would recommend the TDI course, just because it goes more in-depth with the real math behind it.

if you need the TDI course to learn the math, you really need to step back and take an algebra class from a community college.

if you need the TDI course to learn the math, you really need to step back and take an algebra class from a community college.

I was comparing the content of the TDI course to the content of the PADI course, for the OP. I've taken both.

And by "learn the math", I don't mean "learn how to do basic math". I mean "learn the underlying equations governing the use of Nitrox and how to apply them in a diving context".

thank you everyone for your advice, this has allowed me to really get a good idea of what i want. i want to go the dir/gue path but right now cant find a class for it so im thinking of going TDI thanks everyone for your help

Wow, this thread took a sudden nasty turn didn't it? Capable? Qualified? Thinking diver? College Algebra? Abysmally low standards (as it relates to DIR)? :no

One other thing is missing from the "Why EAN32?" discussion is how EAN32 relates to the tables. (We all memorized the MDL table for air, right?)

If your air table says 100' for 20 minutes and 80' for 30 minutes (or whatever your particular table says, those values are from mine, YMMV*) then the -20% EAD for EAN32 says we can use the MDL time value from the 80' line on the air table and dive EAN at 100' for 30 minutes (rock bottom not withstanding).

Likewise, my air table says 60' for 50 minutes and 50' for 60 minutes, so accounting for -20% EAD for EAN 32 I can do 60' for 60 minutes, using 60' -20% EAD = 48' (rounding up to 50' EAD and using the value from the 50' line on the air table).

See, its dirt simple, requires no college algebra, and can be done all in your head (even submerged). :D

*If your table says something else then use that instead. If you don't understand this than take a math-based Nitrox class and crunch the numbers for yourself; I can personally recommend either JoeT's version or IANTD's version but I'm sure there are others.

Standard mixes are the result of an evaluation that takes into account many factors, such as deco efficiency, operational comfort and also logistics (ease of procurement and blending). If really needed you can use different mixes for the bottom gas provided they meet the required parameters (END<30m, PO2<1.4, ideally 1.2-1.3) which usually means you can have less oxygen and more helium (up to a point and still being a thinking diver ...).
But what for? Unless forced by the fact that there is no option - and the standards are met - why should I ask for a EAN28?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom