Where would you go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive buddy and I have been planning a trip to Roatan this coming November, but we are beginning to get spooked by the airfare pricing that keeps going up, up, and away. So now we are beginning to think about other options, in case this doesn't pan out like we planned.

We have budgeted 4000 per couple for the trip. Where would you go for seven days (Nov 13 - Nov 20, 2004)? We are considering a week on a Blackbeard's cruise, but the women don't like the idea of a week on a boat with only one shower.

Any suggestions? We are looking for an eat, sleep, dive type thing. This will be the women's first diving since certification, apart from a mud lake or two, and my buddy and I can be generously categorized as very slightly experienced (AOW).

Thanks!

Wijbrandus:
My dive buddy and I have been planning a trip to Roatan this coming November, but we are beginning to get spooked by the airfare pricing that keeps going up, up, and away. So now we are beginning to think about other options, in case this doesn't pan out like we planned.

We have budgeted 4000 per couple for the trip. Where would you go for seven days (Nov 13 - Nov 20, 2004)? We are considering a week on a Blackbeard's cruise, but the women don't like the idea of a week on a boat with only one shower.

Any suggestions? We are looking for an eat, sleep, dive type thing. This will be the women's first diving since certification, apart from a mud lake or two, and my buddy and I can be generously categorized as very slightly experienced (AOW).

Thanks!

Where have you been diving? Personally, I'd start with Hawaii (Maui, or Kauai). Possibly Tahiti. PM or email me and we can chat...

I have only been diving in a few local water holes and Aruba. My dive buddy hasn't been to the Carib yet. We are doing our AOW cert dives in two weeks, but that's another local watering hole. I'll have a trip cruise diving in the Keys and Cozumel by November, as well.

I would have thought that Hawaii and the South Pacific would have exceeded 4000 for two people. Am I misinformed as to how much it costs to fly there?

Hi Wijbrandus:
Bonaire is in your budget, and has some of the calmest Caribbean diving for the new women divers.
Check out www.plazaresortbonaire.com
Also check out Air Jamaica for your air. You'll have to fly from Denver to Atlanta or Miami, then to Montego Bay, and onto Bonaire. Or you could use American through Miami, Dallas, or San Juan.
Either way you should be able to do it for that price that time of year.
It might not include your food or dives though..unless you only shore dive.

drtherc:
Where have you been diving? Personally, I'd start with Hawaii (Maui, or Kauai). Possibly Tahiti. PM or email me and we can chat...

I too would suggest you start out by staying closer to home.

I would start with the Florida Keys or Cozumel Mexico for openers. The big island of Hawaii also has good scuba, although it tends to be a little more expensive than Florida or Mexico. Puerto Rico has some good diving that is not too expensive either.

Natasha:
Hi Wijbrandus:
Bonaire is in your budget, and has some of the calmest Caribbean diving for the new women divers.
Check out www.plazaresortbonaire.com
Also check out Air Jamaica for your air. You'll have to fly from Denver to Atlanta or Miami, then to Montego Bay, and onto Bonaire. Or you could use American through Miami, Dallas, or San Juan.
Either way you should be able to do it for that price that time of year.
It might not include your food or dives though..unless you only shore dive.

The Florida Keys or Puerto Rico are along the way of Natsha's suggestions, ergo closer to home.

Wijbrandus:
My dive buddy and I have been planning a trip to Roatan this coming November, but we are beginning to get spooked by the airfare pricing that keeps going up, up, and away. ...We have budgeted 4000 per couple for the trip.

If I am not mistaken, this is still on the edge of hurricane season. To minimize potential weather issues, the farther west you go, the better your chances are.

As for Roatan, there are some amazing deals coming and going and it is a great place to dive. Recently, I saw Fantasy Island with a $500 pp, 7 night accomodations, with 3 meals daily, 3 tank boat daily, unlimited shore, etc. (They have new owners and trying to rebuild the biz is what I hear). Nonetheless, this is ridiculously cheap.

If FI is doing this, some of the others are likely cutting deals as well. So when you do the math, make sure you look at all the add-ons.

david

The Maui Dive Shop offers their Dive Lodge which includes a two bedroom apartment and all the air you can breathe included in their price. You can schedule as many boat dives as you want during your stay or just enjoy some of the best shore diving on the planet close by. You won't spend 4K per couple even diving every day off a boat.

Utila would certainly qualify - even if you spend the majority of your funds on airfare.

Depending upon flights to Belize, you could go to www.turneffelodge.com - it will run about $3100 per couple (airfare from Denver is about $600 usually), but that includes everything except booze. So it's a bit more than your planning, but VERY nice... Nothing to do but dive though - you're away from shore (no shopping)...

Wijbrandus:
We have budgeted 4000 per couple for the trip. Where would you go for seven days (Nov 13 - Nov 20, 2004)?
For my money? I'd take 2 trips to Cozumel.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom