Where would YOU go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'd go to Australia. Peter and I spent two weeks there in 2005, and it was one of the best trips we've ever done. I loved Sidney, which made it into my top four cities in the world to visit, and I loved the countryside up on the Gold Coast, which is where we dove. Five years later, the diving in Byron Bay still ranks as some of the best I have done anywhere. And the people we met in Australia were wonderful . . . friendly, outgoing, and always seeming to have time to talk. And there were lots of things to do there besides dive, as well; we visited the wine country, went horseback riding among kangaroos, and didn't even make it to hike the rain forests or other things that had been on our agenda of possibilities.

Wow. It just sounds like our trip last year in reverse order. Spent time in the Lost world valley in QLD, horse back riding amongst the wallabies and kangaroos, then diving in Osprey reef, driving to Twelve Apostles and flying out of Sydney after watching an Opera :)

Wow- thanks to everyone so far who has pitched in...I have been busy looking at all of your suggestions, and there are too many good ones out there.

Originally I was thinking about somewhere in Florida or the Caribbean, but after your posts I'm rethinking that. It looks like the most popular destinations are in Southeast Asia/Pacific. Would the language barrier be a major issue for spending time in that part of the world?? How important would you say it is to travel with a partner? I'm afraid that finding someone with similar goals (DIVING) to travel with may be difficult. Anyone have advice for an aspiring traveler on finding places to stay, dive buddies, DOs and DON'Ts, etc...?

I really appreciate all of your input. Please let me know if you think of anything that might be relevant...Thanks again.

Ellesmere, Greenland, Iceland, Jan Mayen, Svalbard, Tromso. Cold, but some of the most amazing diving I've ever seem. I'd love to get back there.

I'd also vote for South East Asia. I've visited both Thailand and the Maldives, and they were amazing experiences. As other posters said, a lot depends on your finances, but you can easily live in Thailand for far less than you would believe. It's relatively friendly and safe, with lots to do outside of diving as well. It looks like you're from the USA, so just make sure you read up on the local customs so as not to offend, or worse, get in trouble with the law. Basically, in the tourist areas, you wouldn't know the difference, but outside of tourist areas you need to be a little more conservative in dress and behaviour. One last thing, I haven't been to Australia, but I believe that your summer is winter time in Australia, something to check on. Temperature in SE Asia is stable year round, about 28C-32C, but the summer is the monsoon season, so you can get a bit of rain.

Hope that helps.

Yes, come to Philippines!
There is a great diving in Cebu. Just as good as in Malapascua or Bohol.
Recently I did a few dives with Kontiki Divers on Mactan Island, Cebu.
Cheers

In Thailand, Malaysia, etc you can find rooms for as little as a $1.50 a day. You can eat well for less than $5 a day, beer and wine can be expensive so avoid if you cannot afford them. Avoid cities, learn to live without aircon, cable tv, etc. If you have your own gear and are prepared to fit in and help out you can dive for about a $1 a dive. Buy a local SIM card and communicate by txt messages.
You can manage for less than $500 a month once you get into the groove.

Go for it, I wish I had when I had the opportunity.

You can manage for less than $500 a month once you get into the groove..

Agreed - $500-$600 if you stick to the lonely planet and budget travel. Maybe cheaper if you are creative. Expect boat diving to cost $23-$30 per dive.

Kathydee, INCREDIBLE!!! Thank you for your input and the link to your thread. I'm still reading through it and making notes. I am enjoying it very much and learning a lot!

Thanks again to all. I'm doing lots of research now, and trying to decide if I want to try to do a divemaster internship or not. Anyone have reasons not to do it if I'm going to be logging at least 60 dives anyway? I like to spearfish. How would I find out if the Philippines and other dive locations would be spear-friendly? I have no idea about their thoughts on that. I also enjoy photography, so I guess I'll survive if the speargun isn't welcome.

Back
Top Bottom