Where to take Advanced Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBahn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Gents,

Im a Birmingham local, but having trouble locating the schedules of any AOW classes being offering in the Bham area. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a course? Is it possible to complete the AOW course in a weekend?

Thanks.

Should add that I wouldnt mind making a weekend of the course somewhere along the Emerald Coast.

Should add that I wouldnt mind making a weekend of the course somewhere along the Emerald Coast.

In that, case virtually any scuba shop on the coast will take your money... err... teach you the class. It's just about scuba tourist season, so most shops will most likely have an instructor or two on hand right now. What agency are you certified OW with? You also may want to think about taking nitrox with it. Save some money over taking nitrox later.

Yes, it can/will be done in a weekend. If you take nitrox with it, you should study the forumals and equations before heading down for the class. That will make things much easier.

As for a recomendation, I used The Dive Locker to get my AOW + Nitrox. They are about 5 hours south of you. I can't say the intruction was all that great, but that's probably a flaw in PADI's AOW itself. The best part was their new boat. Which reminds me their other new boat just arrived... :eyebrow:

Goodluck in where ever you choose.

Scuba Ventures in Vestavia should be able to help as well as Alabama Blue Water in Pelham.

I think that SV is just about ready to post their schedules. It's a bit early yet.

Good luck,

Beck

My OW is a PADI certification.

I did my OW class through Scubaventures. They did a great job with the class and have recommended them to anyone I can. Only problem is I can never find any class listings on their website and never get a response on my emails to them. Guess I will have to try and act more human and actually phone or drive by their place.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I know the guys at Alabama Blue Water would be able to help you and they have facilities to teach a class in something other than a pool. You should look them up they are good people.

Bluewater's schedule isn't up yet but should be soon or you could call or stop by they're in Pelham. They just started they're summer hours. They're site is at ABWA I know that last year the AOW class was $400 that included nitrox, deep diver, U/W Navigation, Night diver and a few others i think. The best thing about it was that it was done over two weekends i think, I know my open water cert was that way. I got my SDI OW there but i know they teach PADI there as well. Post up what you find out as I'd like to know as well.

PM sent for a class this coming weekend. :)

If you want to head about an hour north, Divesports has AOW classes. They do a lot of their checkout dives down at Vortex and PCB. You might check Gary schedule out at Gary's Gulf Divers. I remember seeing his schedule but I don't know when the AOW classes were scheduled. He's in Orange Beach and drives a six pack so the class won't be too big.

AL

We do our AOW as a one on one and can do it in a Weekend (with a Enriched air added on for $100)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom