Where to store items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm interested in streamlining my rig as much as possible, so I'd like to find out what the DIR approach to storing some pieces of gear is. If there's a web site or another thread that explains these questions, my apologies, and I'd appreciate it if you could point me that way.

1 - non-canister light - pistol C8
2 - shears
3 - knife
4 - SMB
5 - small backup light
6 - camera

Thanks.

Gregg

shears - in thigh pocket, clipped to bungie loop with a ss double ender.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/left_pocket_contents_r.jpeg

knife - on waist strap, left side.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/knife_sheath_r.jpeg

SMB - small one (usually closed circuit, 3.3' long attached to spool) in thigh pocket, larger one (if needed, 4.5'-6' long) in bp storage pack.

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/index.shtml

small backup light - clipped to chest D-ring with a ss boltsnap.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/inflator_config.jpg

Light is held under the arm, closed to the body, with a rubber band/inner tube on the harness.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment/hipdring

camera - a small camera can be clipped on the left chest D-ring, this way the camera is hiden under your left arm when swimming and is streamlined. I guess if you had a large SLR or video camera in a housing that you would have to carry it.

There are some very clear images in Dan MacKay's book Dress for Success. This is a nice book that clearly explains the equipment aspects of DIR, although some of the information in the book is no longer "compliant" with current DIR thinking.

The Pistol C8 is NOT a DIR light. It should be REALLY easy to see why. Think entanglement hazard. Shears: I keep shears on my waist and knife in pocket. All other things posted above I agree with.

to quote a fellow DIR diver, "a great place to store your C8 is in your trunk to see when its dark"

Man, I got stuff stored all over the house, garage too.

Joke. Sorry. Ignore me. I just couldn't resist.

lord1234:
The Pistol C8 is NOT a DIR light.
Well... true, but here's what I do with a Light Cannon. The same solution should work with the C8, too:

I used two zip ties; one to make a small loop in the light's handle where the lanyard used to be (lose the lanyard!). I then used the other zip tie to tie a SS clip to the loop made by the first zip tie on the light's handle. I clip the light to my right shoulder D ring when not deployed, just like a can light's head. You could also use cave line to tie the SS clip to the light's pistol grip, but I'm lazy and usually just use zip ties.

Jimmie

kalvyn:
Well... true, but here's what I do with a Light Cannon. The same solution should work with the C8, too:

I used two zip ties; one to make a small loop in the light's handle where the lanyard used to be (lose the lanyard!). I then used the other zip tie to tie a SS clip to the loop made by the first zip tie on the light's handle. I clip the light to my right shoulder D ring when not deployed, just like a can light's head. You could also use cave line to tie the SS clip to the light's pistol grip, but I'm lazy and usually just use zip ties.

Jimmie
Don't be offended if the mods get rid of your message. Since this is the DIR forum, answers that are given are supposed to be DIR complient, and I don't think that anything with the C8 or the Light Cannon is considered DIR (nice lights that they are--I have an eLED C4 that I love but don't use anymore).

That said, your idea is great for non-DIR diving and could be considered by those who want to streamline and not be DIR since that is perfectly fine.

Chris

cmalinowski:
Don't be offended if the mods get rid of your message.
Well, I won't be because they won't. It's been five days since I posted my answer. :rolleyes:

This is the DIR forum. That doesn't mean that one doesn't answer a question asked, or be condensending in their answer. I was pretty clear that the C8 isn't "DIR", but I thought it rude to not at least offer up a solution to the question asked. I know that I had to use a Light Cannon until I could afford to buy my canister light. Should I not have dove at all until I bought my can light? I know that around here, diving without a light is just not really an option. In my Fundies class, I didn't get any crap for my Light Cannon OR my lack of a can light.

If Gregg (the original poster) is interested in DIR, being rude to him or damning his gear will alienate, rather than attract. My solution is an option for the light he has until he can get a can light. Besides, DIR isn't about the gear, right?

Jimmie

Until you get to where you can get a canister light. Put a bolt snap on it, get rid of the lanyard [if you have one]. clip it to your right shoulder d-ring, as you would a light head. When diving; keep it in your left hand except when you move it over to your right to check your pressure/adjust bouyancy... just as you would a light head.

Keep it in your left hand when you are using your left hand to run a reel, just as you would a lighthead. Fight the urge to put it in your right hand. Not only will this help you learn to keep a light steady when working with a reel; it will also speed up your desire to get a canister light :wink:

lord1234:
The Pistol C8 is NOT a DIR light. It should be REALLY easy to see why. Think entanglement hazard. Shears: I keep shears on my wrist and knife in pocket. All other things posted above I agree with.

to quote a fellow DIR diver, "a great place to store your C8 is in your trunk to see when its dark"
Without going where we all have been before (DIR or not DIR) I dont see an entanglement issue per se with a pistol grip. At least no more than a goodman handle. The only thing I can see to become an issue is that management of reels would become difficult when trying to hold both a pistol grip and a reel in the left hand. While not totally as 'per described DIR list of equipment' It could work in certain circumstances.

I was taught to be a 'thinking diver' by my DIR instructor (not to just take things because). If something makes sense and does not add to complexity or danger, why not? If this makes someone (me) 'non DIR' then fine. We get too hung up on this equipment thing.....

I would only say that zip ties can get brittle and break when you dont want them to... use line to secure the snap to the handle.

I would be more concerned about whether the C8 can be used as a primary light with reference to the intensity and focus of the beam for signalling. What about brun time. THAT to me is more important....

kalvyn:
Well, I won't be because they won't. It's been five days since I posted my answer. :rolleyes:

This is the DIR forum. That doesn't mean that one doesn't answer a question asked, or be condensending in their answer. I was pretty clear that the C8 isn't "DIR", but I thought it rude to not at least offer up a solution to the question asked. I know that I had to use a Light Cannon until I could afford to buy my canister light. Should I not have dove at all until I bought my can light? I know that around here, diving without a light is just not really an option. In my Fundies class, I didn't get any crap for my Light Cannon OR my lack of a can light.

If Gregg (the original poster) is interested in DIR, being rude to him or damning his gear will alienate, rather than attract. My solution is an option for the light he has until he can get a can light. Besides, DIR isn't about the gear, right?

Jimmie
I hope my message didn't offend. I didn't mean to. I was trying really hard not to come across as a prick. I guess I was trying to explain that sometimes people come on here and may not know that answering a question with an answer that is a great answer, but not a DIR answer is generally frowned upon here. Not because of some pretentiousness, but because it could accidentally mislead people.

Someone could go off and say that as long as you get rid of the lanyard and put a bolt snap on the C8 that it was endorced as DIR complient on this forum.

Anyway, I'll just go and shut up now. I never seem to come away looking good from things like this and I'm really just trying to help.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom