Where to stay in San Pedro...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkidKidd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm leaving in a week for San Pedro in Belize and have yet to book a room. I have spent hours searching SB for suggestions but havent come up with anything. So, Im pleading...Is there anywhere you would recommend? Not made out of cash so $400-$500 a night is out of the question. I was looking at Paradise Villas but Im not sure. Research on the web isnt nearly as good as first hand knowledge. We are going to dive but hanging out on the beach and not being far from restaurants and such would be nice. I appreciate any advice in advance.

SkidKidd, who are diving with? This may help you make your decision. Sunbreeze Hotel or Sunbreeze Suites. Easy walking access to restaurants, etc.

Havent booked anything with anyone yet. This is a very last minute trip. Never been there so any suggestions would be welcomed. How far out do I need to book in order to dive?

Tell me what you want AT your hotel. Do you want/need a pool? Do you want a more private beach area? Are you willing to stay right in town, right in front of the dive center, and from where you can walk everywhere, but will not have much privacy on the busy beach at that spot?

I ask because I stay at the Mayan Princess, and dive with Amigos del Mar. Have stayed at Sunbreeze Suites in their previous incarnation. The pool is quite small but a couple of weeks ago there was a guy in measuring it for expansion, so woudn't be surprised to find the whole patio/pool area is a construction site right now. Very bad for JamBel's, the restuarant on site.

You could stay at Paradise Villas, which has lovely grounds and a small pool, but is also on a busier portion of the beach. This is not a significant matter, since the sunbathing can be done on the grounds. You could dive with Ched's shop, Captain Ron's Reef Adventures. Perhaps if it is available Captain Ron can offer you a special package deal on his condo and dives at the shop.

Could stay a couple other places and dive with Chuck and Robbie's.

Could stay further south, and still be able to easily get into town, dive with whomever you want cuz they will all come and pick you up at your hotel dock.

Could stay at Spin Drift and dive with Rudy and his staff, at Island Divers.

You could book one night somewhere and then try to do a walkin rate at a chosen hotel, but hey, why not just email a couple of places of your choosing and see what they'll offer. Now that Easter is over, probably more than a few rooms available at most places.

Should be no reason for you to have to stay anywhere but on the beach.

Even Hotel del Rio gets some positive nods. Looked to me like they've been fixing up the place.

Canada, thanks for the input. My girlfriend and I are fairly inexperienced. Shes new and I have less than a hundred dives. We arent looking for the Blue Hole or anything like that. Just wanna cruise around in 40-80 ft a few times before having to go back to work. We're both US Marines so we arent looking for luxury but prefer not to sleep in the sand. Something on the beach. Pretty easy to please, well, one of us is!!! This is short notice but my job doesnt really allow to plan for anything long term. We'd like to hang out on the beach and do nothing but be fairly close to the night life. I truly appreciate the suggestions.

One of the nicest affordable places on the beach is south of town, Caribbean Villas. Don't know their prices but you can contact them.

The cheapest place is Pedro's Inn. Not on the beach, but clean and fun - and cheap.

Lots of dive centers. My personal preference would be Island Divers. They'll pick you up wherever you are (on the beach, obviously).

I'm not familiar with the rooms at Caribbean Villas but spent a few lovely and peaceful afternoons there recently. All it cost me was a few drinks, an incredibly inexpensive meal and for what I was going to do anyway, my friends and I got to lay out in the sun or the shade of b eautful palm trees, on the provided loungers. I had a golf cart so was quite easy for me to get there and back to town. Strong healthy types such as yourselves shouldn't have any trouble making the walk there and back during an afternoon or going out to dinner, but take a taxi home in the evening unless all your skills are at the ready. :)

I would go with Paradise Villas. Nice units, within easy walking distance to most of San Pedro and not overly expensive. In addition, its right on the beach and there are so many dive shop you can't swing a cat without hitting one.

One tip, rent a five gallon bottle of water and fill your personal bottles from it. Four of us went through 10 gallons in one week. You can go broke fairly quickly buying water a liter at a time.

In addition, Island Divers would be my choice as well for a dive shop. Call it 2-300m from PV.

Peter, thank you for the post. Just as I like it, straight and to the point. Ill check that place out. Like I said, not really wanting luxury but want more than a tent on the beach. We wont be spending much time in there so just a nice comfy place to lay a head with good service is what we want. Thanks

I have stayed at the Blue Tang Inn twice. They are at the north end of town and close to Chuck & Robbie's Diving, Ecologic Divers, and just a little further to Amigos. They provide a continental breakfast, free drinking water, a kutchenette, and free wifi. They are close to two markets as well.

All of the above suggestions are great. Have a great trip and post a report!

Back
Top Bottom