Where to stay in Kihei?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KTOde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are spending our honeymoon between the Big Island and Maui this September and I'm having trouble narrowing down the condos of Kihei! Any suggestions on which condos have the best location as far as nice beaches and primarily good snorkeling would be great! Preferably a pool also. Looking to stay around/under $1,500 per week. We'd also prefer a beach that's not super crowded if possible. We're flixible on location but were thining Kihei since we're planning on diving mostly with Ed Robinsons based on reviews read here and they leave from the S. Kihei boat ramp. We will also dive out of Lahaina a couple days. Any advice would me much appreciated!

THanks!!

We stayed in south Kihei in September 2011 at the Maui Banyan, you should easily find a place within your budget (check VRBO.com). At that time of year most of the smaller beaches were pretty secluded... Which is partly why I'm now addicted to Hawaii...

September is pretty dead on the island for tourists so you might check with some of the resorts down in Wailea for specials. But the Maui Banyan is nice and super close to the boat ramp, so you can't go wrong there for sure.

I've stayed at the Maui kamaole 3 times and it would meet your criteria. I like it we paid more than your budget the last few times but we go in the winter and it is worth it to be able to watch the whales from the deck.

Have a fun trip, we have been 3 out of the last 4 years, and i'm a little sad knowing I won't be back for at least a few years after this last trip. Oh well there is a lot of world to see and dive.

Ben

We have a great condo in Wailea for 1750 a week during low season. It's less than 5 min to the boat launch. Not sure if we have availability for the dates you need. Check our calendar which is always up to date.

IDK if it matters but many of the condos off the Kamaole beaches are across the street from the beach. Google Maps/Earth shows it clearly. I believe both referenced above are.
Maui Kamaole is located across the street from Kamaole III beach
We like this place, it's on the Wailea/Kihei border. Maui Wailea Ekahi Village Resort Condos Vacation Rentals | WaileaEkahiVillage.com It's a few minutes drive to the boat ramp to the north.

The south (west?) end of the property is Keawakapu beach - one of the nicer swimming beaches in that area. Keawakapu Beach, Maui The property is gated on the beach end so only residents can get in. Nice thing is you can walk right onto the beach from the property. Both ends of the beach have sort of a mixed lava field off the points - we snorkeled the south one once. IIRC it was maybe 20' deep with a few overhangs etc. In the aerial shot, the greenbelt area near the right center is Wailea Ekahi.

The map is a little confusing unless you zoom in on the larger image. The white line shows the property line, not a road, the only road is Okulani to the left. Wailea Alenui to the north is one of the main roads into Wailea past the golf courses etc. There's also an upscale mall nearby - shops and waterfront restaurants.

Some traffic to Wailea goes up that road but it's pretty quiet after dark. Many of the units have ocean views since the property drops down gradually to the beach. The parking lots run along Okulani so provide some buffer for the closer units also. Since all the patios front the greenbelt, you never notice the traffic.

Several good dive sites - Ulua Beach, Wailea Beach, Polo Beach, 5 Caves, Makena Landing are all within a couple minutes drive. Most are tough to park at so go early. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

I've stayed in another unit not shown on this website - I found it on vrbo.com. One of the low 30's buildings - IDK which one. From a few steps out into the greenbelt, I could see Molokini offshore. The 1br I stayed in was downstairs - all the buildings are two story - IIRC 4? condos per building. It's a pretty good walk to the beach from the 40's/50's so maybe get something closer.

Awesome, thanks so much for the advice everyone. I'll look into these! Does the Maui Banyan have good snorkeling on site or within walking distance?

The beach across from Maui Banyan (Kamole III) doesn't have great snorkelling if I recall correctly but I only tried once and don't think I was in the right spot. On the south end of the beach it looked like good snorkelling but i didnt try there. The beach was nice but there were so many other great beaches around we hit a different one every day. 5 minute walk to the boat launch though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this awesome place. $119 a night! Pool is only steps away. Beach (almost a private beach!) right across the street. Close to access to Kihei Boat Ramp and Lahaina. Availabilty is going fast! Tell Tracy I sent you!!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/600944

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom