Kauai in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wife and I heading in September have never dived there. Not a “dive trip” but a family trip so looking for likely 1 boat dive day and a couple shore dives. I am 1k plus DM cert she is about 800 basic OW but not AOW. We’ve done coz a lot, Galapagos, Palau and Fiji, but I think the thrill seeking days are probably behind us and we both prefer meandering underwater strolls these days

We will be 3 nights in Haena and 7 in Poipu

I’m not sure my wife is up for the boat ride from Niihau but some of the ops say AOW required. Is this enforced? Seems also a shoulder season for weather. If it were just me I might give it a go but being married long enough….

Tunnels - seems to be the only shore dive option north? Anywhere to rent a tank and weights or just do guided? Is it generally diveable in September?

South shore - is Koloa the only real shore dive? Seems to be a spot can do easily without a guide.

Any other shore dive locations to consider?

We got certified in Maui in 92, went back a few times most recently in 2021. Spent more on two boat dive days than the airfare and the diving was meh. Spent $20 for a tank and weights and did a shore dive at Mala and it was the best Maui dive we’d had in a long time.

Aloha! AND ... excited for your visit and a chance to help if I can. I can help you with super specific in personal messages that may not apply to all - but for now I'll do what I can. I've been diving in the Hawaiian islands for over 20 years and have experience on Big Isle, Maui and Kauai ( where I've spent almost 2 decades ). With your experience you can experience the best Kauai has to offer without over extending yourself.

Niihau season is hit and miss that late in the season - though you'll find operators that go to the very last possible day. I can give you more on Niihau later if you wish. Tunnels is similar to Niihau in that as soon as north swells hit - Tunnels and Niihau largely close to diving as the conditions tend to hamper otherwise good dive experiences / conditions. As to you inquiry about AOW or appropriate experience level required .... to be honest ... some companies see the requirements as $$$ and a cert card. With a little research you can see which companies fall under that umbrella. Tunnels can be crazy advanced no matter how many logged dives as the entry and exits are very limited and hard to find without experience. It's unusual in that the entry is up current and exits are almost non existent down current without extensive knowledge. IF current is running you need to allow lots of time to come back against mild to sometimes strong current. Tunnels, if you catch it on a really good day may have good vis' but is on average the lowest vis' dive on the island. The lava tubes are the highlight for sure - but it is NOT a great critter dive compared to anything else on island.

Mala is without question one of the best shore dives in Hawaii. Very different that Koloa. I never suggest any Kauai dives without a guide - but with your experience you'd likely be just fine. I could offer a map and suggestions on NAV humbly if it would help. You may also consider a single tank led dive to learn about marine life and habitat / layout etc. Generally speaking Koloa has some of the most sought after critters you can see in Hawaii.

Happy to continue dialog - and as I've offered any diver in the past - I'd be happy to provide gear bins, carpets, critter books, chairs and etc. for your visit. If you'd like a guidebook for planning we can arrange one to borrow as well. Anything I can do to help make sure your Kauai visit is amazing - I'd be happy to try to help. Late here and gotta prep for diving, but PM with specifics or continue conversation here. Aloha, A

Aloha. Since you're in Haena for a few days and if the north swell is low, "Kauai Scuba Adventures" is the way to go for diving Tunnels. Scott is hands down one of the nicest and most patient people on this island. Most companies will offer Niihau crossings until end of September (Explore Kauai Scuba, Fathom Five, Seasport, & Bubbles Below). Explore Kauai Scuba (and sometimes Bubbles) will offer a chance to cross year round if the north swell is down. As for AOW needed, just call shops and let them know how many dives you have and you'll be fine. Most require a minimum amount of dives, but not an AOW. Let me know if you have any dive or even Kauai general questions (hikes, restaurants, sights, etc).

My son and I did some shore and boat dives with Nick and Jessie of Explore Kauai Scuba a few years back.
I highly recommend him and his crew. It was very professional, but also very friendly and relaxed.

Aloha! AND ... excited for your visit and a chance to help if I can. I can help you with super specific in personal messages that may not apply to all - but for now I'll do what I can. I've been diving in the Hawaiian islands for over 20 years and have experience on Big Isle, Maui and Kauai ( where I've spent almost 2 decades ). With your experience you can experience the best Kauai has to offer without over extending yourself.

Niihau season is hit and miss that late in the season - though you'll find operators that go to the very last possible day. I can give you more on Niihau later if you wish. Tunnels is similar to Niihau in that as soon as north swells hit - Tunnels and Niihau largely close to diving as the conditions tend to hamper otherwise good dive experiences / conditions. As to you inquiry about AOW or appropriate experience level required .... to be honest ... some companies see the requirements as $$$ and a cert card. With a little research you can see which companies fall under that umbrella. Tunnels can be crazy advanced no matter how many logged dives as the entry and exits are very limited and hard to find without experience. It's unusual in that the entry is up current and exits are almost non existent down current without extensive knowledge. IF current is running you need to allow lots of time to come back against mild to sometimes strong current. Tunnels, if you catch it on a really good day may have good vis' but is on average the lowest vis' dive on the island. The lava tubes are the highlight for sure - but it is NOT a great critter dive compared to anything else on island.

Mala is without question one of the best shore dives in Hawaii. Very different that Koloa. I never suggest any Kauai dives without a guide - but with your experience you'd likely be just fine. I could offer a map and suggestions on NAV humbly if it would help. You may also consider a single tank led dive to learn about marine life and habitat / layout etc. Generally speaking Koloa has some of the most sought after critters you can see in Hawaii.

Happy to continue dialog - and as I've offered any diver in the past - I'd be happy to provide gear bins, carpets, critter books, chairs and etc. for your visit. If you'd like a guidebook for planning we can arrange one to borrow as well. Anything I can do to help make sure your Kauai visit is amazing - I'd be happy to try to help. Late here and gotta prep for diving, but PM with specifics or continue conversation here. Aloha, A

-Howdy Aquaman-K. and greetings from Cape cod, MA.

I'm reaching out to you because you seem quite responsive and you're clearly very familiar with HI. I'm coming to visit KI at the very end of this June 27-to July 2. I'm hoping to get some diving in and am looking at 2-3 dives at Sheraton Caverns, etc., and then a 3 tank to Niihau, Vertical +... Am hoping the weather / seas will be cooperative as my diving days window is somewhat narrow. This will be first time diving Kuaui though I've dived the Big Island (long ago). I'm fairly seasoned -have a Dive Master cert.- but due to life circumstances etc. it's, been a while since I've been down... Looking around online I see there's a number of operators. I'm leaning towards Fathom due to positive reviews and the package but what you see (or what's shown to us) online isn't always the whole picture, or what one gets. In any case, I'd appreciate hearing any tips or advice you might have to offer. Many thanks in advance!

I have had many great dives with Fathom Five as well as Scott at Kauai Scuba Adventures. SeaSport is also highly regarded but I have not been out with them. TripAdvisor ratings are a great resource.

AquaMan, are you a dive pro here on the island? Just wondering which shop if so.

i would do 1 day trip to ni´hau crater with seaside divers
Thanks Scuby, do you mean SeaSport Divers? I’ve not yet seen Seaside divers…

I have had many great dives with Fathom Five as well as Scott at Kauai Scuba Adventures. SeaSport is also highly regarded but I have not been out with them. TripAdvisor ratings are a great resource.

AquaMan, are you a dive pro here on the island? Just wondering which shop if so.
Hi Rick, thanks for the insights. Good to get different angles. As you can tell, I’m still in the exploration phase and not yet committed to any shop at all. It’ll likely come down to availability and package in the end. But really appreciate the input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom