Where to stay and who to dive/get certified with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 1st choice would always be to get certified at home. Good instructors in the states will spend all the time you need with you in the pool. Don't waste your vacation time studying. At the very least do your classroom and pool training at home. Then on vacation all you have to do is your open water checkout dives.

My 1st choice would always be to get certified at home. Good instructors in the states will spend all the time you need with you in the pool. Don't waste your vacation time studying. At the very least do your classroom and pool training at home. Then on vacation all you have to do is your open water checkout dives.
I was glad that I did all that and the checkout dives at home so I could start real diving on day 1 of my first trip, but I did not live in Mukilteo, Washington like them. I know that locals do certify there, and I flew up there once just to dive those waters and see sights seen nowhere else, but it was cold!
  • Getting certified at home would allow them to start real diving sooner, and it'd be easier diving in Cozumel - altho I'd still suggest a private DM for day 1.
  • Your way would be warmer.

The Blue Angel looks perfect! especially for my son. I’ll run it by the others, thanks for the replies.

Yes, we have great diving and dive shops here locally. They will definitely complete their on line studies before departing, if they choose to do more it would be good. I’ll look what is available.

Hi All! First post!

I would like to take my 12 year old son and his mother to Cozumel to get their scuba certification, as well as enjoy a vacation about the last week of July. I would go diving while they are learning.

the last time I was there, 10 years ago or so, I stayed at what is now the Wyndham. Their was a scuba school on-site and the boats picked us up to go diving from the dock out front. As I remember it was a decent enough resort and a great location to get into town.

Anyway, are their other resorts that any of you would recommend that have a similar set up- easy for diving and instruction, that is also family friendly and fun? I can rent a car if needed and have a generous budget, but I like to feel I am getting a good value for my money.

Thanks in advance,

Neil
Does he have a water sports background? If not, he may want to try snorkeling before progressing further. Remind him of the dead air space when using a snorkel.

A lot of novice divers have feelings of xenophobia when considering scuba training outside their home state. Most agencies have regulated mandates when it comes to dive training. Always dive with confidence regardless of the instructor.

Back
Top Bottom