Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a version of PADI TEC45 and TEC 50 where you use limited percentages of helium. These courses are TMX45 and TMX50. These are good options if the student is more susceptible to gas narcosis. PADI requires a 130 END. But they only require that in courses that use helium. So, 165 feet is ok with air in TEC50.

TDI allows up to 180 feet in extended range on air. I did that once and found it a bit disturbing.

In contrast GUE appears to want a 100 foot END.

They are precanned distinctive specialties. I am sure any PADI trimix instructor would not be disapproved. The limit is x21/20. Deco cannot exceed 20 minutes which is curious since tec45 and 50 allow unlimited deco.

They are precanned distinctive specialties. I am sure any PADI trimix instructor would not be disapproved. The limit is x21/20. Deco cannot exceed 20 minutes which is curious since tec45 and 50 allow unlimited deco.

Only 20% He? TDI changed from 20% to 35% He last year.

Why am I still laughing at PADI for offering another class for every 5m of depth? Looks like a good way for an instructor to be PADIng the bank account.

The issue with the PADI technical courses is the instructors are primarily drawn from a pool of recreational only divers. Technical instructors MUST be experienced and practiced in diving to technical levels. Taking an OW instructor, training them to minimum standards and letting them teach the technical courses without spending years diving to technical levels is, bluntly, awful. Of course some instructors who teach PADI technical courses are fully experienced in technical diving. However the temptation for a "professional" instructor to make their daily bread from OW teaching is strong.

The other agencies select their technical instructors from the much smaller pool of experienced technical divers. Some agencies demand their instructors have to log a certain number of non-teaching/training technical dives to retain their certification.

The bottom line is you choose your instructor, not the agency and definitely not whatever the local dive shop teaches.

Agree fully wibble! There needs to be a balance between teaching (you can also lose didactical skills) and doing dives and joining projects yourself.

I stopped teaching technical courses after my son was born because i knew my diving would be a bit more limited for the first few years and i rather spend that time diving than teaching.

I ve started teaching this year again...but with a twist. Students dont have to pay me..if they follow an equivalent gue course after. Because i came to realise that you need to make it your fulltime job if you want to stay on a high enough level (both teaching and diving) and for me teaching/diving remains a hobby. (Although an all consuming hobby)

I ve started teaching this year again...but with a twist. Students dont have to pay me..if they follow an equivalent gue course after. Because i came to realise that you need to make it your fulltime job if you want to stay on a high enough level (both teaching and diving) and for me teaching/diving remains a hobby. (Although an all consuming hobby)
I don't get it.. why do you do that? Because you believe that the quality of your courses is lower than GUE?

The issue with the PADI technical courses is the instructors are primarily drawn from a pool of recreational only divers. Technical instructors MUST be experienced and practiced in diving to technical levels. Taking an OW instructor, training them to minimum standards and letting them teach the technical courses without spending years diving to technical levels is, bluntly, awful..

According to PADI standards, for a given level of PADI technical instructor, they must be a certified technical diver to or past that level, have specific technical diving experience for that level, pass the corresponding instructor level technical course, do at least one teaching assist for that level course, and pass a peer review technical diving skills evaluation.

Also, OWSI instructors are only allowed to be first level technical diving instructors within recreational diving limits. You have to be at least an MSDT level instructor to teach anything beyond recreational limits.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom