Where to start - help pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all - hope this is the right place to ask my question - let me know otherwise.

I am a currently a pure recreational diver (PADI Rescue - a couple of hundred dives) and would like to start doing some deco diving so I get more bottom time when exploring reefs and hopefully get to some beautiful wrecks in my area.

I understand that you have to start taking technical diving courses if you want to get into deco diving; is this correct ? Which training agency should I consider (I don't want to get into switching gases and so forth at this stage) ?

Also I am living in Singapore - any recommendations as to where getting my training ?

HI there
Have a look at TDI they offer great courses for the budding extended range diver.

http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/tdihome.html

Not sure how big DIR is in Singapore, I dont think there are any instructors there yet

All the best in your quest

More so then recreational diving, the whole thing is going to depend on the instructor. He/she is going to guide you in your quest to more aggresive diving. Ask around, hell ask everybody!!
Find the right guy to teach you and everything else falls into place

frogfish,

Take a look at IANTD. They offer outstanding training for the type of diving you are wanting to do. You can find IANTD's website HERE

Your situation sounds like mine. When I was a PADI Rescue Diver, I was looking to extend my bottom time and enjoyment, and IANTD was my solution.

Dive safe,

frogfish once bubbled...
Hi all - hope this is the right place to ask my question - let me know otherwise.

I am a currently a pure recreational diver (PADI Rescue - a couple of hundred dives) and would like to start doing some deco diving so I get more bottom time when exploring reefs and hopefully get to some beautiful wrecks in my area.

I understand that you have to start taking technical diving courses if you want to get into deco diving; is this correct ? Which training agency should I consider (I don't want to get into switching gases and so forth at this stage) ?

Also I am living in Singapore - any recommendations as to where getting my training ?

Obviously finding a good instructor is priority number 1.

As far as organisations go, I'm with Rush. IANTD has a good reputation and as far as I can tell a clear and thorough programme. TDI is obviously also an option but the president of TDI (who I affectionately call Dread Gilligan) has some ideas that don't jive with my idea of safe diving. I don't know how much of his ....uhmm.... unique point of view filters down into the training programmes but when I think about it my alarm bells go off.

You have a couple of other options. PADI has a rec/tec course that might suit your needs. I personally have some reservations about PADI's tec program just because their rec program has such serious quality control issues. However, if they have good instructors in your area it might be worth a closer look.

And GUE, who are also very well respected, may or may not have connections in your area. Gue comes out of the U.S. cave diving world and puts a lot of emphasis on in-water skills and equipment choices.

Cheers,
R..

My $.02 is that you should pick the instructor. Go with someone who has experience and IS doing real technical dives. Not someone who was doing technical dives. You know, the guy who puffs out his chest and tells you about the time he dove the Mt. Everest of wrecks. Believe it or not in technical diving some manage to get a card with few dives and then they are all training dives. Go with an instructor who does it for real and excersizes the philosophy you wish to learn. Don't be shy. Ask where he/she dives and with whom. Ask to see a log book. Ask for references. Look at the equipment they use. dive with the instructor before you begin a class. Don't just walk in and plop down your money spend some time with this person.

If you want to do dives that require staged decompression you will be doing gas swithches. You should be learning how to plan and execute gas switches and handle the equipment that goes with it before you ever incure a decompression obligation.

Cutting dive tables and jumping in the water with deco bottles is the easy part of “technical” diving. Coming back when things go wrong is the hard part, and coming back from such a situation rests heavily on skills, not technical expertise.

GUE is heavily into the skills portion of the diving equation. If you’re thinking of going “technical” I would look first into taking the DIRF course. This course will give you the tools that will help you self-evaluate if you’re ready for technical diving or not. GUE is a very small organization, and as such they have very tight control over their instructors. There’s no worrying over “finding a good instructor” if you’re taking a GUE class you WILL have a good instructor, there’s probably only a dozen or two worldwide at this point in time.

Some good news too, GUE’s training director teaches GUE classes in Singapore quite often, see:

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/AndrewG/02Sched.htm

He was in Singapore twice last year and taught five classes, two of them DIRF classes.

You should also look into GUE technical training. Many folks consider their training expensive, but not when you look at what you get in a class. Their Tech 1 class consists of Nitrox up to 100%, Normoxic Trimix and gas mixing. This is at least four classes through TDI or IANTD; if you add up the costs of those four classes you’ll exceed the cost of the one GUE class.

But back to the DIRF class: No matter what this is an excellent class to take; it’ll let you accurately assess your skills and weaknesses and will bring your recreational diving to another level, no matter how experienced you feel you are. I had been cave diving for three years before taking my DIRF and I thought I was pretty close to the experience level required for open water technical diving. The DIRF class showed me otherwise!

For more information on GUE, see:

http://www.gue.com/

Also search on DIRF in the technical forums to see what people thought about the class who took it.

Roak

Thanks to all for yourinput. I guess I will have to do my homework re. TDI, IANTD and GUE and try to find out about instructors in Singapore. Will keep you posted !

Also I had a first look at the GUE website and it looks pretty good, although I am a bit concerned as how prescriptive they are ! For instance I don't like being told that I can't use split fins; - it probably makes sense if you dive in certain environments (e.g. silt), but telling people they won't teach you if you don't use Scubapro jetfins (I know I am pushing) sounds a bit to much... Same with regards to smoking : fair enough smoking is bad for your health but that should be enough... Just my views no offense pls

Thje DIRF class is relatively new and the requirements are changing quickly, they're some lag between the changes and the GUE page. To take the DIRF class all you need is a long hose, check the FifthD page for the latest requirements (http://www.fifthd.com/).

By the time you finish the class you won't need anyone to tell you to get rid of your split fins. You'll come to that conclusion yourself. The reasons for having stiff blades has nothing to do with silt. And yes, you're pushing :)

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom