Where to purchase longer "Nitrox Only" decals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I just received my PST E8-119 in the mail yesterday, to find out that the standard "nitrox only" band is not long enough for the tank. Does anyone have a source for longer (at 26.5") decals?? Couldn't find any in my usual shopping locations.

Thanks!!

why would you want a Nitrox sticker on it anyways? The smarter thing to do is mark the maximum operating depth on your tank so that people in the water with you will know how deep you can go on it before you fall victim to oxygen toxicity. Having a sticker that merely says "Nitrox" doesn't really tell me anything other than the fact that you are not breathing air... just a thought

That being said, if you cant find one long enough, I would suggest positioning the tank with the valve opening facing your head (as it would be when you are diving) Then I would place the sticker around the tank on the outside of the tank, where it would be facing away from your head. This way when you put the sticker on, people will be able to see that you are breathing Nitrox and the sticker won't be hidden by your BC and back. There will of course be an open spot on the tank where the sticker doesn't meet up. This is where your back is and would not be seen by anyone anyways.

MAK52580

MAK52580:
why would you want a Nitrox sticker on it anyways? The smarter thing to do is mark the maximum operating depth on your tank so that people in the water with you will know how deep you can go on it before you fall victim to oxygen toxicity. Having a sticker that merely says "Nitrox" doesn't really tell me anything other than the fact that you are not breathing air... just a thought

MAK52580

However, many shops will not fill a nitrox tank with only a o2 clean vip sticker, (if doing pp blending) because of the "industry standard." Anyway, I don't need the longer stickers right now as I got rid of the E8-119 and got an E7-120.

Thanks,

iflyprops:
However, many shops will not fill a nitrox tank with only a o2 clean vip sticker, (if doing pp blending) because of the "industry standard." Anyway, I don't need the longer stickers right now as I got rid of the E8-119 and got an E7-120.

Thanks,
The oxygen cleaning sticker just got even more important.. especially from a dive store's liability perspective.. Luxfer just joined Catalina in stating any cylinder using ANY oygen enriched mixture (that being defined by cga standards as >23.5%) must be cleaned and maintained for oxygen service..

Catalina is a bit more stricter in stating who is qualified for cleaning a cylinder.. Going as far as specifying ANDI service tech standards (the put in a caveot to allow other agencies who has equivalent procedures and requirements(At this time no one else does)

This is not meant towards you at all, but the "industry standard" is bunk and is the exact reason why they want you to have it... to make more money.

The best thing that you can do is to become a regular at a shop or two that can do it for you without the sticker. These shops will know the type of diving that you do, what your personal standards are as far as gear maintenance and care and will not even ask questions.

My shop knows the care and maintenence that I put into my gear and knows that I do not let anything but Nitrox or O2 clean air in my tanks and they will NEVER have to worry about it, hence the no need for a sticker... and the $10 it will cost to buy it.

MAK52580

MAK52580:
This is not meant towards you at all, but the "industry standard" is bunk and is the exact reason why they want you to have it... to make more money.

The best thing that you can do is to become a regular at a shop or two that can do it for you without the sticker. These shops will know the type of diving that you do, what your personal standards are as far as gear maintenance and care and will not even ask questions.

My shop knows the care and maintenence that I put into my gear and knows that I do not let anything but Nitrox or O2 clean air in my tanks and they will NEVER have to worry about it, hence the no need for a sticker... and the $10 it will cost to buy it.
MAK52580

Its not as simple as the dive store making a decision to fill it or not.. If the shop want its liability insurance to be intact in the event of a problem they must follow published industry standards otherwise the are SOL in the event of a problem.. The traditional policy spells this out in black and white.. The defacto industry standard for labeling is NOAA requirements.. The sticker is an easy solution.. if you dont want to spend the $10 then PAINT it acording to NOAA rules. just make sure it doesn't obscure the cylinder walls (IE too thick)

If it goes to court the first thing a layer is going to do it pull out NOAA regs and your done.. Regardless of what any agency professes. No agency other than GUE allows Nitrox without stickers, even if they get their own insurance to cover their shops and instructors and its in their standards they would probably lose since NOAA would be considered the Experts.

just be glad that the US government doesn't get involved like the new EU regs that require specific valves for specific gases.. within a few years it will be illegal for EU members to fill tanks without the new valves (which also require sperate regs) since the sizes chosen will not be adaptable. Germany already has a requirement for oxygen cylinders.

The stickers arent a money maker for the store.. My shop pays $6 and I sell it for the same $6. Its more of a hassle for me to remove the old sticker each time its time to do a VIP and replace it with a new sticker.. Even if I charged $10 it still wouldn't cover the labor.

Even if a store does 400 tanks a year, thats only $1600 "profit" ignoring labor costs, a store will make more money selling a few regs than the time required to label the equipment properly.

Ther currently is NO STANDARD for trimix tanks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom