Where to plan trip on AirTran??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where to go dive... ok DH and I have free tickets on AirTran to anywhere they fly (interactive map) http://www.airtran.com/route-map/city_information.aspx

We were thinking Bahamas, but are not set on anything. Would love to have a dive trip, but inexpensive (cheap hotel, good diving). Our only dive experience is Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel). (Keeping in mind we are very much newbies!)

Sooo... we are looking for suggestions from all you folks. The tickets are good for 1 year, so travel time is also optional. What do you think?? thanks in advance for all the forthcoming suggestions!:D

I went to the bahamas once, it was on a cruise, and it seemed like the island was heavily commercialized. Not much local "charm". Given that it is a cruise ship destination you will also share it with the crowds. But the diving was pretty good. Now, I've seen better, cozumel was much better than nassau. You might consider flying into Miami and going to the florida keys. You might even save money going that route.

I would recommend reserving your flights well in advance of when you want to travel (6 months or so). AirTran puts very tight limits on the number of free seats they will allow on any given flight:huh:.

Other than that, they are a great airline. Out of 100+ flights with them I have only had 2 cancelled - due to weather only.

Another destination for Airtran would be the Florida Keys (fly into Miami & drive down).

Enjoy your trip, wherever you go.:wink:

Sean

Grand Bahama (Free Port) and Nassau are heavily commericialized. They are the "major airport" destinations and the cruise boat destinations.

To feel the real character of the bahamas the smaller or out islands are the way to go. But a pain to get to for most of us since we have to connect to 3 or more flights to get there.

The keys are an option. Air Tran flies into Ft Lauderdale and it's about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive to Key Largo. Of course you need a rental car for this where most places in the Bahamas you don't need a rental car.

Another option might be fly into Raleigh, rent a car and drive to the Outer Banks of NC. Great wreck diving and great sand dune beaches.

Or Fly into Pensacola and dive the Emerald Coast. Great beaches and lots of wrecks in the gulf. Dive the Oriskany while there.

Better yet... you could use your Airtan tix to get you to the west coast & then you can find pretty decent airfare to Hawaii (~$300 rt)

Sean

llenrocs:
Better yet... you could use your Airtan tix to get you to the west coast & then you can find pretty decent airfare to Hawaii (~$300 rt)

Sean

Holy crap..:11: .. really??????? We've been dreaming of Hawaii..... wow... any more hints or details on that one????

Also... thanks for all other suggestions... please keep them coming.... we're open to anything and everything.... love adventure

mike_s:
Grand Bahama (Free Port) and Nassau are heavily commericialized. They are the "major airport" destinations and the cruise boat destinations.

To feel the real character of the bahamas the smaller or out islands are the way to go. But a pain to get to for most of us since we have to connect to 3 or more flights to get there.

The keys are an option. Air Tran flies into Ft Lauderdale and it's about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive to Key Largo. Of course you need a rental car for this where most places in the Bahamas you don't need a rental car.

Another option might be fly into Raleigh, rent a car and drive to the Outer Banks of NC. Great wreck diving and great sand dune beaches.

Or Fly into Pensacola and dive the Emerald Coast. Great beaches and lots of wrecks in the gulf. Dive the Oriskany while there.

Hmmmm.... DH is dying to see some wrecks... of courrse being newbies.. we'd have to stay outside of them.... but still ... could be very very cool!!

AmyJ:
Hmmmm.... DH is dying to see some wrecks... of courrse being newbies.. we'd have to stay outside of them.... but still ... could be very very cool!!

Actually the Gulf Coast has a lot of wrecks that are somewhat shallow (50 to 90 feet) and very easy to swim into with safe exit.

For example the Black Bart in Panama city is in about 85 feet of water to the sand and is a 200 foot (guestimate) ocen going tug. You can easily swim into the open deck holds and the wheel house and not worry about not getting out even without a light. it's wide open.. It's a very popular wreck.

AmyJ:
Holy crap..:11: .. really??????? We've been dreaming of Hawaii..... wow... any more hints or details on that one????

Also... thanks for all other suggestions... please keep them coming.... we're open to anything and everything.... love adventure

Check out Aloha Airlines ... I am always getting emails from them with special fares between the west coast and Hawaii. Sometimes as low at $99 each way... usually less than $150 each way.

The airlines sometimes offer pretty decent airfare/hotel packages also. That's what we did for our last trip to the Hawaii. Less than $2500 (including fees & taxes) for airfare from Chicago + 7 nights in a Sheraton resort in Kona. I imagine it would be even cheaper if you could get to the west coast for free.

It definitely pays to shop around.:wink:

Sean

Here's an even better deal and little known secret: Air Tran and U.S. Airways compete out of Phoenix since U.S. Airways has a hub here. So surprisingly, they're cheaper to Maui than out of LAX. And since your free tickets are on AirTran, you might be able to get an even better deal if you call them.

I just went on Expedia. May 6-13 AirTran has a 3pm departure for $371PP R/T. Same dates out of LAX are over $400. They also book the ResortQuest properties in Kihei(South Shore) for as little as $797 PP R/T with a studio Condo on(near) the beach.

I've also seen airfare as low as $331 r/t from here. I get e-mails from the airlines regularly around that price. So you might check other weeks/months also. I'm guessing that once schools out, it's higher.

Some of the better Maui diveops - Ed Robinsons, B&B, Mike Severns leave out of the Kihei boat ramp. I don't know where the condo listed is but the boat ramp has to be within a mile or two. There's also some easy shore dives at Waimea Beach just a couple miles south. And hey it's MAUI!!.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom