Where To Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been fortunate enough to dive in some pretty amazing places all over the world. Recently I've taken to the occasional vacation dive while on a more traditional cruise (Norwegian is great, even for divers!) but am recently getting the itch to go on a dive-centric trip again.

My diving history is something like this...
Cozumel (2002)
New Jersey Wrecks (2005-)
Bahamas, Blackbeard's Live-a-board (2006/2007)
Cocos Island, Undersea Hunter (2008)
St. Lawrence River, Canada (2006/2008)
North Carolina Wrecks (2010/2011/2015)
Truk Lagoon (2012)
Palau (2012)
Bonaire (2010/2011/2013)
Saba (2014)
Roatan (2014)
Pompano Beach, FL (2014/2015)
Catalania, California (2013)
St. Thomas (2016)

I'm partial to shipwrecks and underwater photography, whether it's macro or wide angle. Just wondering where I should head next? Live-a-boards? Island getaway?

A couple of years ago I did combination trip. Komodo liveaboard via Bali. Then Lembeh, NE Sulawesi, for the macro/muck diving. Both a photographers paradise.

No wrecks to speak of. There was a shore dive in Bali to the Liberty Wreck. It was OK. A bit crowded.

Fiji would be good place!

Did you get down to offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina? Some historical wrecks.

Have you done a lemon shark or goliath grouper aggregation out of Jupiter? Considered Key Largo and hitting some of the wrecks?

You did Cocos Island; does the Galapagos call to you?

How many glowing reports about Komodo and other Indonesian destinations do we read about? The diversity of Raja Ampat? The Red Sea is much loved, from what I read.

How important is budget?

Would you rather 3 1-week Florida/Caribbean destinations, or take that money and do a long live-aboard in Komodo?

Help us get a sense of your priorities.

Richard.

Indonesia! Raja Ampat or Komodo to start depending on the time of year, then either Bali or Lembeh for amazing macro critters.

Did you get down to offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks out of North Carolina? Some historical wrecks.

Have you done a lemon shark or goliath grouper aggregation out of Jupiter? Considered Key Largo and hitting some of the wrecks?

Haven't done anything out of Jupiter, is aggregation the same as feeding? That sounds pretty good! I've considered Key Largo as well, specifically to hit the Spiegel Grove. I suspect there is plenty else to dive in Key Largo?

You did Cocos Island; does the Galapagos call to you?

It does in a sense, is it that much different than Cocos dive wise? The land element of it may be worth it enough. Do you have a liveaboard suggestion?

How many glowing reports about Komodo and other Indonesian destinations do we read about? The diversity of Raja Ampat? The Red Sea is much loved, from what I read.

I'll have to check out Komodo and Raja Ampat. I'd be all about the Red Sea, but to really get the time in I'd rather dive it on a rebreather and I'm not there yet. Group of divers I normally travel with were scheduled to go to the Red Sea, but the Arab Spring put the brakes on that.

How important is budget?

Depends on the destination. I'd be ok dropping a hefty sum on a destination that is new and exciting. If it's equally expensive to spend a week in the Keys diving the wrecks and some ok reefs....not so much.

Would you rather 3 1-week Florida/Caribbean destinations, or take that money and do a long live-aboard in Komodo?

If there's significant air travel involved (basically anywhere outside the US & Caribbean) I'd rather a longer itinerary.

Help us get a sense of your priorities.

Richard.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Richard! I've responded in line above.

I believe the Jupiter aggregations are about breeding, not feeding, but if shark feeding interests you, Randy Jordan with Emerald Dive Charters does shark feeding dives, and you can check out this thread -
Lemon Sharks of the shipwreck “Esso Bonaire III” with Emerald Charters, for more about that.

Haven't been to Cocos or Galapagos, so drawing on ours reports, it looks like the Galapagos is a good deal colder diving. Not familiar with which live-aboard's the best; I know they're expensive! One of my old instructors posted a Galapagos trip report back in 2010 that may be of interest. The place has huge name recognition.

I've only dove the U.S. & Caribbean region, and not all those locations by a long shot. Drawing on what I recall of other's reports, it's my understanding Komodo has considerable drift diving and Raja Ampat has great diversity but isn't the greatest destination for high viz. Perhaps someone else can confirm or refute these claims? I mention them not to argue against going, but to inform expectations.

Richard.

P.S.: I guess if you're working a bucket list, cage diving with great whites out of Guadalupe (Mexico), the sardine run in Africa (IIRC) or some other exotic once-in-a-lifetime trip could be considered. Nothing I've heard about the Australian Great Barrier Reef would make me endure the journey there & back, but if I did, I hear the live-aboard trips are the way to go.

Maybe this will nudge you - check out this page at Aggressor.com, which I learned of via an e-mail today. The special I'm talking about:

Save 32% Komodo - Indo Aggressor
Book and deposit on a new reservation from March 14 - April 15, 2016 and save 32% on travel through December 31, 2016!

" - Applies to new reservations.
- For single supplement, applies to full paying space only.
- Money saving specials, discounts and contest vouchers do not apply.
- Does not apply to Dive the World weeks.
- Travel must be completed by December 31, 2016"

They've also got specials pertinent to Raja Ampat and the Red Sea.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom