Where to go next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is a loaded question but I honestly am not sure where to go next. I just finished my Intro to Tec course this past summer. The instructor I took it with stated he thinks I am definitely ready to progress into Tec courses. I was assembling my gear for my tec classes and pretty much have everything I need. I have been diving with my doubles and slinging ponies/stages ever since my intro to tec course in preparation for my full tec courses. My instructor then threw a monkey wrench into things by saying he wonders if I should go sidemount first before getting into my tec classes. He is a former back mount diver, then progressed into rebreathers and sidemount. He states there are pluses and minuses to both and recommends sidemount to most of his "new" students for Tec but he said it is different with me since I already have all my back mount gear. He will train me in either form I desire. I currently own two sets of doubles (manifolded). I have all the stuff to break my regs into side mount regs. The only thing I would need is a sidemount rig. So what our your thoughts...do I progress into Tec courses now and maybe try sidemount later or do I go to sidemount now and get into my Tec courses later? As of right now I mainly enjoy wreck diving. I do not think I have a desire to go into cave diving but it does intrigue me so maybe someday. I am 90% cold water diver in the north east using drysuits and steel tanks but my parents recently moved to Florida so I do see my warm water diving increasing (My father is a diver as well and I plan to go visit and dive with him a few times a year). So what is everyones thoughts?

Sidemount isn't a progression, it's just different. I'm with Tbone, unless you're doing penetrations that are too tight for doubles, I'd stick with backmount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom