Where to go in late Feb 2022?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleNat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are a group of 9. 7 adults 2 tweens. We have 2 advanced divers, 1 new diver, 3 resort divers and 3 snorkelers. Kids have a break from Feb 26-March 6. We were looking at St. John but finding housing for this large a group at this late date is proving difficult. All except 1 kid under age are vaxxed. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Since you posted this in the Lesser Antilles and mentioned St. John, I will say that in that area St. Croix could be good for your mix of people. Easy but good shore dives and snorkeling at the Frederiksted pier, snorkeling trips to Buck Island, good shore dives on the northern side and decent boat dives on the northern and western sides. We were there in March with a mixed group of 6 (2 divers, 4 non-divers, aged 16-75) and stayed in a condo at Gentle Winds -- not a bad location overall.

That said, if you aren't focused on that area and/or a U.S. territory, then I think Cozumel could be a good choice for your group also. Prices for lodging, diving, food, etc. are all much better, I believe the diving is better, food and service both definitely better, roads are better, things open later, etc. Just my opinion, but to me it's no contest if that is an option for your group.

Would you be willing to consider Grand Turk? The week you mention should (I say "should" because in nature there are no real guarantees.) be at the same time as the Humpback Whales are migrating through. You may not see them, but you will likely hear them "singing" on almost every dive.

There is a quaint little resort on Grand Turk called Bohio that is run by a couple of Canadian expats.

Boat rides to the dive sites are typically 5-10 minutes, and the dives pretty much follow a similar profile. There will be a sandy flat at about 30-50 feet right next to a wall that drops off into the abyss. It may be worth it to look into Bohio. You would fly into Provo and then take a "Puddle Jumper" flight that is about 15-20 minutes over to Grand Turk.

Thanks! I think we might go to Turks & Caicos. Most of us have been there before, and a house that we know is available. Any suggestions for dive companies? One of the kids is 14 and has done resort dives, so need to make sure he can go.

Hard to help you spend your money when you didn't give us a budget…

Cozumel is still your best bang for your buck, but be aware that El norte could blow you out and you'll never get on the boat. Plus you might be competing possibly with carnival

Thanks! I think we might go to Turks & Caicos. Most of us have been there before, and a house that we know is available. Any suggestions for dive companies? One of the kids is 14 and has done resort dives, so need to make sure he can go.
It depends on where you are. If you are in Provo, I like Dive Provo. Great little dive shop that offers outstanding service. If you are on Grand Turk either Oasis Divers if you are not at Bohio or the dive crew at the resort if you are at Bohio.

Provo, I loved diving with Mickey and Jayne @ Flamingo, and only 8 divers allowed on the boat

Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes Read up on the distance and time getting to and from sites of land-based before you decide. Wonder if Curaçao would suit you guys? Curacao Trip Research Notes
Travel time to and from the dives sites is one of the reasons that I specifically recommended Grand Turk. Travel time is typically 5-10 minutes or for some sites even less.

Back
Top Bottom