Where to go in Hawaii?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you like a big boat and easy entry go with Kona Honu. I was gonna dive with friscuba this trip but he had nibody else for the day I planned. Up north Kohala Divers from Kawaihae runs nice charters to sites others dont hit. Theres more coral up north although the critters and fish are the big attraction here - Hawaii largely lacks soft coral so its a little different than, say, Cayman.

If you want to shore dive consider Puako up north or two step down south. The depth falls off fast here as you head out and the dive sites are mostly a few hundred fret from shore.

Lastly, if the current eruption conditions hold, you should definitely see the volcano. After dark the red glow of the lava lake in the crater at Halemaumau is visible in the rising cloud of steam and vog. Note that it is about a 2.5 hour drive one way from the Kohala area to the volcano. Also you will hit 4000 feet at the park entrance so plan dives accordingly.

The manta ray dive is really a must do as long as the mantas are showing up. Most of the dive companies here are forthright about your chances of seeing them at any given time as they pretty much all keep up on whether they are showing up or not at the time. It's crazy busy from about the 20th 'til about the 5th or so over the Christmans/New Years holidays for many operators so that's one to reserve and take chances on right then (wait too late, many/most companies will be full on the night dive and many day dives), after the 5th or so things tend to open up. There's lots of good day dives in the Kona area as well.

Just a reminder.. Don't go to up Mauna Kea immediately after diving.. Many people end up with altitude sickness even without diving.

Hi again everyone!

Hope you're all doing well... I have one more question for you experts :D We don't have a ton of equipment like BCDs, dive computers, etc, but we do have masks, snorkels, fins, wetsuits - is it worth it to bring these, or should we just rent? Kids have snorkels and fins as well. I'd prefer not to bring all of this (mostly because I'm trying to cut down on baggage - don't get me started on airline baggage fees...:furious:

Thanks again for your help!

Kat

When in doubt.... rent it out. Masks are small and you never know what rental masks are like. I say bring em. If you have writstmount computers..... bring those too (light and small so easy to pack). It's all about what things of your personal gear you are likely to use either snorkeling or diving and what you think you can live without.

Aloha,

G

An extra bag, under 50lbs is 25$.

Renting the BCD, fins, masks for 2 people will cost more than the 25$ airplane fee. I plan on just renting tanks & weights during my week in Maui - Oct 7th through 16th 2011.

MANTA DIVE - don't you have to be Advanced Open Water for a evening / night dive? I'd love to do that dive, but Sylvie & I are just PADI Open Water.

The Manta Night dive is a must. Consistently ranked as the one of the top 10 dives in the world. Kona Diving Company, Kona Honu and Jack's Diving Locker are all good companies.

On Oahu...lots of wrecks to explore...Mahi, YO/San Pedro, LCUs and Barges...and a few airplanes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom